Question about Worming my Flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sugroxz, May 4, 2011.

1. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I am a newbie and curious how often people worm their flock? I have Guineas, Turkeys & Cochins and wondering how often they should be wormed? My Cochins are not free range but my Turkeys and my Guineas do fly over and get out which they stay close to home in our yard.. What's ya'lls thoughts? Also what should they be wormed with?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Do they have worms now? If not give them canned pumpkin every once in a while...I feed it to mine monthly used as a preventative measure [​IMG] IF they have worms already then you would need to use the meds to get rid of them, then start them on the canned pumpkin or whole pumpkin (just crack it open and they dig in) in the fall [​IMG] Chickens LOVE it! I have never had to worm my chickens ever and Its been three years [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Quote:How do you know if they have worm??? My chickens are very picky eaters and won't eat that kind of stuff.

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Chickens do not get worms like cats and dogs. I would not worry about worming unless you are over crowded. Some natrual prevents are pumkin and squash seeds, pine and cedar needles. Chickens eat worms they are not over prone to getting them.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:The worms and bugs that they eat are carries for worms so yes chickens do get worms like cats and dogs.
    If you have never wormed your chickens I would use wazine in the water.
    Follow up 10-14 days later by a 2nd wormer Like safeguard paste (pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken)
    or invermitcin (sp) pour on this also works on lice/mites
    My birds free ranged and where not crowded and got a heavy infestation of worms last year. I worm once a year now. There is another wormer that gets all the worms chickens can get I can't remember the name I am going to get that and use next year. It is best to use different wormers each year so the worms can't build up an immunity to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by