question about worming

chicketydooda

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
I have three RIR's that I purchased and have just realized are emaciated. I have no idea whether it's from worms or from improper feeding. I do know that they were in very tight quarters before I got them. I went to the feed store to get advice (and wrote on here as well) I want to treat them for worms just in case but the feed store guy said that they are too thin and to fatten them up with food, and that worming them could kill them because they are so weak. Is that true? he gave me purina crumbles. I was using the medicated chick stuff first. I don't 100% trust his judgment because he proceeded to tell me I could go to jail for animal cruelty....idiot I told him I had just bought them within a few days. Any advice? should I worm them?

I would recommend some 28% game bird feed to get some weight on them, keep an eye on their droppings for worms, worm if they need it

you should be able to get some food grade DE to put in there food and that should be fine, I'm sure someone else can clear this up better then I.

Last edited:
Well if their emaciation is indeed caused by a heavy load of worms it's only going to get worse. You could hold off I guess for a week or two, pump them full of good food as well as to let them settle in a bit. If they were my birds I would then deworm them with Valbazen. It works slowly over a period of days, so you don't get a big worm kill off all at once with potential for blockages and dead worm toxicity. It's one of the safest and most effective wormers you can use. If the feed store doesn't have it you can order on-line, I got mine off of Amazon but various other places have it too.

And yes, advice from feed store employee's must always be taken with a big grain of salt! His jail comment was way out of line!

Well if their emaciation is indeed caused by a heavy load of worms it's only going to get worse.  You could hold off I guess for a week or two, pump them full of good food as well as to let them settle in a bit.  If they were my birds I would then deworm them with Valbazen.  It works slowly over a period of days, so you don't get a big worm kill off all at once with potential for blockages and dead worm toxicity.  It's one of the safest and most effective wormers you can use.  If the feed store doesn't have it you can order on-line, I got mine off of Amazon but various other places have it too.

And yes, advice from feed store employee's must always be taken with a big grain of salt!  His jail comment was way out of line!

x2

ok I have been fattening them up and that seems to be working (they are eating non stop anyway) but now they have diarrhea. What could that be a sign of? I think I am going to get some homeopathic de worming medicine. Any ideas?

Diarrhea can also be a symptom of worms but since they are new to your property I'd also be very concerned about coccidiosis. It's always a risk for new birds as they can easily come into contact with a strain of cocci that they are not immune to. It would be safest to treat them with a course of Corid.

Last edited:
I was thinking that could be a possibility too but...they don't act sick at all...they are very lively. Is it safe to treat for both at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom