Question about yogurt

ChickenHawk12

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Does it need to be "plain" yogurt? I'm not crazy about giving my chickens dairy products, but I've been struggling to get them to eat the powdery parts of the feed, and so far have been unsuccessful. I'm reading about how to ferment feed right now, but until I get it going I want to try to get them to eat the powder. All I have in the house is Stonyfield organic whole milk yogurt in French Vanilla flavor....

Mixing the powder with a little more feed and wet it usually gets them to eat it. If fact they mostly think it is a treat.

mine will eat any yougert but I make homemade plain(whole raw milk) for them .....I had been mixing it with oatmeal and fruit every evening to get them to go into the coop but now I just give them plain yougert for extra protein...I also use Fermented feed for the most part...alot less waste than pellets or crumbles

mine will eat any yougert but I make homemade plain(whole raw milk) for them .....I had been mixing it with oatmeal and fruit every evening to get them to go into the coop but now I just give them plain yougert for extra protein...I also use Fermented feed for the most part...alot less waste than pellets or crumbles
Raw milk is illegal in my state LOL.....I have to travel out of state almost 2 hours to get it! I've already tried feeding it wet like thick oatmeal. 5 days straight and no-go with them. I feed milled feed, non-pelleted, which is why all the important stuff winds up powdery at the bottom. Today I took the cover of the feeder off and left it in there until it was mostly gone. I guess they got hungry enough :-(

Yeah raw milk is illegal for human consumption in Florida too...they place I buy mine says "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" right on the label....LOL I would never drink it...wink wink or cook with it...wink wink wink...But then again if I give away any of my eggs I have to inform them that they are NOT for human consumption too....and everyone uses them only for animal feed right?

Back
Top Bottom