Question concerning 2 week old chick

ChickieChris

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
I have a chick who will be 3 weeks Tuesday. I got her at 1 week. From the beginning she has acted like she was constipated. She does not have pasty butt. When she goes to poop she does so standing up...I have noticed the other chicks all squat down when they poop...and it looks like she is straining...looks effortless for the other chicks. Because she does this standing the poop will often make a mess of her feathers and I clean her up. Other than this she acts normal. She runs and plays with the others, is trying to fly a little, I have seen her eating and drinking. I have also seen her bedded down with the others so I know she can squat when she wants to. She is maturing at the same pace as the others. Any thoughts as to what could be going on with her? I'm at a complete loss.

Maybe she is eating too many pine chips, if that's what their bedding is. They all eat some, but sometimes one will go overboard. I'd probably put a spoonful of molasses in the water as it works as a mild laxative. Probiotics are always a good idea, provide some normal gut flora. Of course, plenty of water is imortant. Sometimes chicks kick so many shavings in the water that a fresh supply isn't in effect available. You can raise the waterer and/or put sumething like a scrap of plywood under it to keep the shavings away. Some grapes might help, too.

Their bedding is wheat straw. I do have the water sitting on a block of wood so it is raised up a bit and I change it daily. If I put molasses in the water would it be ok for the other chicks to drink it or do I need to isolate her and so that only she drinks it? I also really like the grape idea.

A little molasses shouldn't hurt them, at least if only for a day or two.

Chickens do love grapes -- that may be your solution!

Update: she is now almost 5 weeks old and is doing wonderfully. I started letting them out of their coop and into their run (fully enclosed and covered) about 2 weeks ago and I started seeing a marked improvement after that. She is "doing her business" just like all the rest now. Don't know if getting out is what helped her or not...maybe the extra activity prompted her to drink more and that helped....who knows! Just thankful that she made it!

Back
Top Bottom