QUESTION..difference between DRAFT and VENTILATION

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by florida lee, Jul 6, 2011.

1. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I'm building a semi-permanent coop (on skids, so can be moved with truck). The tractors are going to be too small when my gals are full grown. the new coop will be 8' x 10'. the whole thing will have a roof over, however, a little less than half will be open and covered with hardware cloth. I call it my Florida coop. the temps here have been near or at 100 degrees for the past month and will get worse.
    one 8' end will be solid wood, the other 8' end will be all hardware cloth with pedrestrian door. the rear 10' wall will be 6' wood (mated to the wooden end wall and the rest hardware cloth. the other (front wall) will have 5' wood mated to the wooden end wall and the rest hardware cloth. so basicly half wood and half hardware cloth. all on a wooden floor with a roof over the entire coop.
    QUESTION is will I need ventilation openings in the enclosed side, I'm afraid doing this this would create drafts. will the openness of the entire end be enough cool air for them.
    the enclose 3 sides on the other end will give protection from rain and wind.
    I hope I explained this clearly.

thanks...

oh yea, the coop construction has started but still plenty of time to make changes....

2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Ventilation is moving air when/where you want it. A draft is moving air when/where you DON'T want it.

That is my very simple explination.

Here's a really easy visual.

In the summer time, an open window in your house is ventilation -- that same window open in the dead of winter is a draft.

Others will come along and explain why I'm wrong.

Peace,

Dave

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:HILARIOUS!!!!!!![​IMG] I have been wondering the same thing, though... because I'm going to be starting my coop soon, too. But that is the funniest response I've heard!!!

Okay, so we know we can certainly have a LOT of ventilation in the summer... but I've been reading our coops still need ventilation in the winter... how much is too much in the winter? Where do you draw the line with it being enough and it being too much... or not enough? I keep designing and re-designing!!

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    draft -air blown across or on chickens in winter. I love the other definition better [​IMG] [​IMG] In the summer the windows are great for ventilation and even some air blowing on them feels great. But in the winter you want air that escapes from the top or eves of the coop. The cold air should not blow on the roost at all. Cracks around windows can be taped up but leave those eves to where there is lots of movement up high. Hot humid air from the chickens will go out those. If you can build a baffle in the coop between door and roost and let some air in it helps too. Build acc. to the climate you are in. gloria Jean

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by