Question: Feathers/fuzz

MommaDuckB

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
Browns Mills, NJ
So, it seems that my ducklings are starting to get their feathers. Their tail feathers are starting to get 'bushier' then they were. My one duck has a little white 'mohawk' on it's head. I put them in the tub last night to get them cleaned off some (they got really dirty Saturday and must have rolled/laid in poop...yuck). Well, while they were in the tub I noticed a few pink spots...specifically around their wings and by their bills. I noticed them scratching more - guessing from being wet. They weren't in the water for too long - maybe 5 mins. I checked them out as I took them out of the tub - it's not raw/sore to the touch, from what I can see. I did some googling and found mixed info - some said it's normal some said to be on the look out for disease?

Anyone know what I'm seeing? I looked at them after they dried off and it really looks like feathers are coming in. They're a few days over 2 weeks old. I can take a picture the next time their in the tub.

Help?

Michelle

Yeah mine start scratching alot when in the bathtub.
And usually there are little pink spots where you can see the skin. Usually more noticable when they are wet.
And yep their tails start looking longer as the real feathers come in, and then that baby fuzz will fall off.

Back
Top Bottom