Question folks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Loopyoldcoop, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Loopyoldcoop

Loopyoldcoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2013
    Picking up 3 ex-battery hens on 21st September 2013. Does anyone know if it's OK to break layer pellets down into a mash for the hens? Or should I purchase some specifically produced mash separately and mix pellets through that gradually.?

And does anyone know a supplier of Layer Mash for hens? in the Central Belt of Scotland or a UK Website Company where I can order it from.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't see why you shoudn't break the pellets down into a mash.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Layer mash and layer pellets are actually the same thing, just in different forms, so there should be no reason why you can't break the pellets into mash yourself if you so desire.

4. Loopyoldcoop

Jun 13, 2013
    Hi,

Once I get up and running on the 21st September, when I pick up our first Hens(3), all will be fine. Trying my best to have all my questions, queries/ uncertainties answers before they arrive.

Much thanks

5. thriftyfarmer

thriftyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    I'm curious about your story. Are these rescued birds? Spent layers?

Always curious about the story of a hen.

6. Loopyoldcoop

Jun 13, 2013
    Hi thriftyfarmer,

They are rescued birds, I do believe they are just not the cream of the flock so instead of slaughtering them the Battery Hen Welfare Trust are told how many they can have. They inform people that have logged an interest to rehome the hens, have them confirm they still want them and then go and pick them up. The people adopting the hens pick up the same day they are uplifted. The trust is a go between and follow up with support (online/phone), advise/guildance and supplier if you wish the buy from them. Hens are bought with a donation of 3-5 pounds sterling. Head onto http://www.bhwt.org.uk/ to find out more.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by