Question for Breeders

Quote:
Hi equibling, question about the Roo pad. Do they fight amongst themselves or are they good to each other as long as there are no females in there? Also, do they have to be out of seeing range of hens also to not fight?

I am thinking about keeping a Roo pad and was wondering about how they would get along.

Thanks!

The roos in my bachelor pad all seem to egt along just fine. In my experience, it's being around hens that makes them a problem, to each other & the hens.

I had 7 roos that when away from the hens they followed me all over. but do to free ranging,
Critters got 3 so now I have 4 roaming roos.but 8 more penned up.
I keep a ratio of 6 hens to one roo and they have
been giving us a lot of young ones.
first hatch was 9-9..

Are there dominant roos in the roo pad or do they all get along.

I have all of my hens and roosters in one coop now and although they are young and fight some the roos haven't killed each other yet.

I figure I will have to seperate them when they get to breeding age but that is some time yet.

Before that I had two roos with 24 hens and 99% fertility on my eggs hatched out here.

Mine have a lead roo. He's the biggest. Didn't keep them from challenging him bunches when they were mixed with the hens, though. But now they watch to see where he goes.

Am going to give these boys away really soon... A neighbor's teacher is taking at least 1 maybe 2 of them.

I have 2 roos with only 3 hens right now. (There were 5 girls, but we lost 1 to illness and 1 to a predator.) The roos get along just fine and have never fought over the hens. The bigger roo is dominant and a bit rougher with the girls, but he's getting better as he gets older. The smaller roo is a complete gentleman, and is fine to pair up with a singe hen for breeding purposes. I think it depends on the maturity and personilty of your rooster(s), with regard to their mating needs and preferences.

When I had 53 free ranging, they would form smaller groups, 1-2 Roosters, 3-4 hens.

Now I have 1 rooster, 2 hens, one pullet. The rooster is a teenager I think (still a virgin from all appearances) but he's sweet to everyone. I was thinking about adding one more OE hen for him, and a D'Anver roo, so that intended chicks would be purebred. I'm going to wait and see how the pullet turns out, she's D'Anver x OE.

When I had a lot of roosters, my hatch rate was dang near 100%. When I culled out a bunch of roosters and had it at about 6:1, my hatch rate went kaput to 80%-ish. Less crowing, less fights, less eggs hatching! That was free range though, not caged breeding. I was a kid... LOL.. who cares what cross, hatching is fun!

Quote:
Hi equibling, question about the Roo pad. Do they fight amongst themselves or are they good to each other as long as there are no females in there? Also, do they have to be out of seeing range of hens also to not fight?

I am thinking about keeping a Roo pad and was wondering about how they would get along.

Thanks!

They get along just fine with each as long as they cannot see hens. There are dominant roos and submissive roos and roos in the middle of the pecking order that just kind of keep to themselves. Usually, once per summer I have to take roosters away from their hens for a few weeks and give the hens a break. My rooster coop is pretty small--6 x 6 with a 6 x 12 run. But they do just fine in there. I also have two feeders and two waterers to ensure everyone is able to eat/drink at some point.

Strewth ! I've learnt pleanty in the last few posts
wink.png
Nice one guys. I had been warned that my Buff Orp Cock would eventualy damage my Blackrocks and others with his spurs eventualy, and it still troubles me. (Perhaps a diferent thread? What's the protocol on that ?) But I had not heard of "Friction burns" causing an issue on the small off a chooks back.

The Sire of this bird killed three hens while making this lad. (So I'm told by Trethorne park(Devon)... where I got him) Spurs and weight .... I'm gonna need advise on that later
wink.png

I have him exclusiveley with my Black Rocks ATM... They'll rejoin the other 3 tommorow when I do my last collection before setting another batch in the Bator.

I won't get too stressed about mite infections or anything if he "Polishes" a bit of Booty. Something more to watch for
smile.png

The last batch of 16 were ALL infertile. I set just over a half dozen tommorow..... wish me luck LOL.

Back
Top Bottom