Question for BYC regarding photo metadata

RoyalChick

Henpecked
Premium Feather Member
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
I am not at all tech savvy and a bit nervous about privacy on the internet (BYC is literally the only social media site I have ever posted on).
I was reading about metadata embedded in photos which is very useful (including for image copyright), but the metadata also contains precise location of where the photograph was taken in something called an EXIF file.
The article described that was a risk that people could find your actual address simply by having access to the EXIF file from a photo you had posted. The article went on to say that many social media sites (Facebook, Twitter) strip the metadata off photos that are posted.
So my question is what does BYC do and how can we be sure that our precise location cannot be found from the photos we post. Most of us post photos of our chickens which are typically in our back yards!
I would really appreciate understanding this as I love BYC but am not keen for the world to know exactly where I am!
I am attaching a link to one of the things I was reading on this topic.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/an...iphone-photos-are-taken-heres-how-to-stop-it/

An easy way,,,
You can strip photos of the meta-data, if you are using your computer. Open a picture, and use the Snipping tool to generate a new picture free and clear of meta-data.
You will have a PNG extension photo. It does not contain the information a smartphone puts with its photos.
If you use a regular camera (not your phone) to take your photos,, they do not have the gps coordinates.
I snipped a pix you may be familiar with. It is just a portion. It is clear. :thumbsup
chickens.PNG

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

When pictures are posted in threads or conversations, the data is stripped. However, if you post the same picture in the gallery, the picture data is still there (gps is not).

Here is one I took at Walmart:
1637304140929.png

It's this file:
IMG_20211021_110403179_BURST000_COVER.jpg

I then downloaded it and: now the data is gone:
1637304424302.png

Last edited:
When picture are posted in threads or conversations the data is stripped. However, if you post the same picture in the gallery, the picture data is still there (gps is not).

Here is one I took at Walmart:
View attachment 2902713

It's this file:
View attachment 2902715

I then downloaded it and: now the data is gone:
View attachment 2902717
What I have understood so far is if I use my PC I can snip the metadata off the file myself (I am sure I can figure that out somehow!), so it is only my phone that is the issue.
But of course I usually use my phone.
If I use my phone to post a picture in a thread my location is stripped off. That is great because that is mostly what I do.
But then if I post it in something called gallery the data is there like your Walmart one. But what is 'gallery'? Is that the tab I see on BYC that I have never looked at?!
Also what about Articles or interviews (I was thinking of writing an article on my coop build so that is relevant).
Thanks! And sorry to be so dumb. :oops:

What I have understood so far is if I use my PC I can snip the metadata off the file myself (I am sure I can figure that out somehow!), so it is only my phone that is the issue.
But of course I usually use my phone.
If I use my phone to post a picture in a thread my location is stripped off. That is great because that is mostly what I do.
But then if I post it in something called gallery the data is there like your Walmart one. But what is 'gallery'? Is that the tab I see on BYC that I have never looked at?!
Also what about Articles or interviews (I was thinking of writing an article on my coop build so that is relevant).
Thanks! And sorry to be so dumb. :oops:
You don't need to do anything, BYC strips the GPS from posts, conversations, articles, and the gallery.
Gallery:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/

My picture in the gallery:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/img_20211021_110403179_burst000_cover-jpg.7942522/
Screenshot_20211118-230024.png

Back
Top Bottom