Question for Farmers/Ranchers

MadisonOde

Songster
Jul 16, 2017
La Crosse, WI
Hey all,
I am a high school student from Wisconsin, and I will be spending the summer out in Utah with my grandparents. I have a job and just wanted a change and to travel. I have always been interested in riding horses and working at a ranch, however never got to do either much. I was looking at opportunities near where I'll be living, and it seems like there are many trail rides/ranches. However, I also am not rich. I know it's cliche, but would it be feasible to contact some of these places and ask to be able to work in exchange for experience and riding? I don't want to be naive, so I figured to ask this group, as many have farms and ranches. If someone asked you to do this, would you consider it? I'm leaning towards no, because I feel like it might be a burden/work does not equal rides, on the other hand I feel like it doesn't hurt to ask. Thoughts?

I think you should contact them.
There are horse “ranches” on Central Wisconsin that exchange work for free riding. You have to have worked so many hours to earn a free ride.

Don't just ask, but ask around. As in, ask all of the places.

And go on and ask for a job. Plenty of places will hire you and teach you how they like it done (be sure not to take it as gospel, everywhere has it's quirks)
Working students aren't just a thing that is done, but it is SO common it's just automatically part of my insurance - the business assumption is that I'll have a couple of students working for lessons at any given time.

The reason you want to ask around is some places will take advantage of your willingness. It happened to me at 15, and has happened to plenty of others. So ASK "how much work do you usually do for how much riding? How often will you expect me to be there?"
You shouldn't work more than a day without getting on a horse for the first time, even if they want to "test you out". Me, my "barn rats" (the affectionate industry-wide term for working students, because every barn has some, lol) do 2 hours work for an hour's riding, which is better than some, but it's also usually work riding, as in "Ok, so Diva's been getting a bit barn sour, walk her in circles around the barn until she stops wanting to speed walk to it." or "Gandalf needs exercise; 15 minutes trot, 5 minutes walk, repeat 3 times, take X trail."
Because frankly, a good bit of that needs to be done. So my guys get lessons until they can handle work riding, then it's probably 70% work riding (all slow, steady stuff that is also very good for students! Builds seat), 25% lessons and 5% "Sure. Go. Take Duchess out."
Also, while my rats ride as soon as they've put in 2 hours, at first, like ALL my students, the first couple of hours "riding" does include "this is how you halter", "Stand here.", "No, NEVER wrap the rope around your hand!!", "The saddle goes on like this. Now you do it." so the hour lesson is about 20 minutes of horse handling and 40 of riding, for the first 2-3 lessons. That's everyone who comes to my barn, paying or not, unless they show me they already know.

Don't just ask, but ask around. As in, ask all of the places.

And go on and ask for a job. Plenty of places will hire you and teach you how they like it done (be sure not to take it as gospel, everywhere has it's quirks)
Working students aren't just a thing that is done, but it is SO common it's just automatically part of my insurance - the business assumption is that I'll have a couple of students working for lessons at any given time.

The reason you want to ask around is some places will take advantage of your willingness. It happened to me at 15, and has happened to plenty of others. So ASK "how much work do you usually do for how much riding? How often will you expect me to be there?"
You shouldn't work more than a day without getting on a horse for the first time, even if they want to "test you out". Me, my "barn rats" (the affectionate industry-wide term for working students, because every barn has some, lol) do 2 hours work for an hour's riding, which is better than some, but it's also usually work riding, as in "Ok, so Diva's been getting a bit barn sour, walk her in circles around the barn until she stops wanting to speed walk to it." or "Gandalf needs exercise; 15 minutes trot, 5 minutes walk, repeat 3 times, take X trail."
Because frankly, a good bit of that needs to be done. So my guys get lessons until they can handle work riding, then it's probably 70% work riding (all slow, steady stuff that is also very good for students! Builds seat), 25% lessons and 5% "Sure. Go. Take Duchess out."
Also, while my rats ride as soon as they've put in 2 hours, at first, like ALL my students, the first couple of hours "riding" does include "this is how you halter", "Stand here.", "No, NEVER wrap the rope around your hand!!", "The saddle goes on like this. Now you do it." so the hour lesson is about 20 minutes of horse handling and 40 of riding, for the first 2-3 lessons. That's everyone who comes to my barn, paying or not, unless they show me they already know.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I am going to be near Zion National Park, so a lot of the places are commercial trail rides. Is that different vs a normal stable? Also, due to my other job I most likely would only be able to come 3-4 days a week, would that be an okay amount of time?

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I am going to be near Zion National Park, so a lot of the places are commercial trail rides. Is that different vs a normal stable? Also, due to my other job I most likely would only be able to come 3-4 days a week, would that be an okay amount of time?
Lots of trail ride places are always in need of guides. They need someone to follow the group (or lead out, which is hard on your back. I always lead from behind, I can call out directions and SEE everyone without trying to ride all twisted around and facing backwards) to stop people from doing something stupid or falling off.

Plenty of places have guides who are "volunteers" who work for tips. And the tips can be pretty nice!! So it's really common, and a good way to get a lot of saddle time, even if it's not quality time (seriously, riding facing backwards sucks). Just make sure not to volunteer for shoveling! I mean that.

So, while there you'll get lots of riding, you likely won't learn a whole lot and you may not even get to ride past a trot. Ever. But you absolutely should not be stuck with a lot of grunt work.

A show or breeding stable, you will totally be shoveling in exchange for your riding. BUT, you should be getting quality instructions for it. Like actual lessons that lead to work riding and showing - you should be at the school show with everyone else!

Lots of trail ride places are always in need of guides. They need someone to follow the group (or lead out, which is hard on your back. I always lead from behind, I can call out directions and SEE everyone without trying to ride all twisted around and facing backwards) to stop people from doing something stupid or falling off.

Plenty of places have guides who are "volunteers" who work for tips. And the tips can be pretty nice!! So it's really common, and a good way to get a lot of saddle time, even if it's not quality time (seriously, riding facing backwards sucks). Just make sure not to volunteer for shoveling! I mean that.

So, while there you'll get lots of riding, you likely won't learn a whole lot and you may not even get to ride past a trot. Ever. But you absolutely should not be stuck with a lot of grunt work.

A show or breeding stable, you will totally be shoveling in exchange for your riding. BUT, you should be getting quality instructions for it. Like actual lessons that lead to work riding and showing - you should be at the school show with everyone else!
Do you think I would be able to volunteer as a guide with little experience? Especially as a high schooler?

Sure! Last place I was a wrangler, there were 5 employees (adults) and 7 volunteers (2 adults and the rest teens). And I know for a fact that some of them had nothing going for them but enthusiasm - because I trained them myself!

Now at my place, yeah, HS and college students are 90% of the people who ask. And most of the adults who ask end up not coming. "Real" jobs and spouses and mortgages and such get in the way.

Sure! Last place I was a wrangler, there were 5 employees (adults) and 7 volunteers (2 adults and the rest teens). And I know for a fact that some of them had nothing going for them but enthusiasm - because I trained them myself!

Now at my place, yeah, HS and college students are 90% of the people who ask. And most of the adults who ask end up not coming. "Real" jobs and spouses and mortgages and such get in the way.
Thank you so much for the information! I'm just trying to figure out what places to ask, will most trail rides companies do that? This is what I'm currently looking at, would it hurt to send them an email? https://www.hildaleresort.com/horse-riding-services Again, thank you so much!

No way to know but to ask. No harm in an email, but showing up in work boots and clothes usually works better. As for that place, looking through the pictures, I see people holding cell phones, kids without helmets and an idiot standing up in the saddle, so I'd guess their standards aren't too high, lol.

Oh, and also, that very first picture in the gallery with the guy listing over like that? Man, that would NOT be on my website! Dude is pressing hard against the stirrup with his toes, and every right handed person lists right, lefties left, because they push harder with one foot than the other. Dude is going to fall, that horse is going to be sore, and he'll be more sore when dude falls and tries to catch himself by the reins. A guide should always make someone listing over stop, straighten, and take the one foot out of the stirrup for a minute, and again as many times as it takes to convince them, no, the saddle isn't loose, no, the horse isn't crooked, and yes, you're really doing that.

Last edited:
You may as well ask. Are you experienced at all in riding and general stable care? In example, if someone that knew what to do for the most part came to me with that deal, I might be willing to male that trade depending on more specific details.

Back
Top Bottom