Question for fish people

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Just looking here, because I can't get a definitive answer anywhere, and I don't trust the pet stores to give me a straight
answer. I have one Dojo loach, 8 or 9 inches long. His tank mates are one medium sized single tail goldfish, 3 or 4 inches long, and two small
Black Moor goldfish, an inch long apiece. We recently lost our old fancy goldfish, she was quite large and he (the loach) bonded with her. I'd
like to get him another companion, ideally another loach, although he seems ok with the other fish, but we have a 55 gallon
tank and I'm not sure that's big enough for two loaches and everybody else. I'm thinking we need at least a 75 gallon for two,
but idk. Anyone?

. I'd
like to get him another companion, ideally another loach, although he seems ok with the other fish, but we have a 55 gallon
tank and I'm not sure that's big enough for two loaches and everybody else. I'm thinking we need at least a 75 gallon for two,
but idk. Anyone?
Hi there. :frow

I'm gonna start by saying it's some time since I kept fish.. 6+ years.. but when I did.. did so avidly. It's an enjoyable hobby.

To the best of my recollection.. I would not be housing the dojo with the gold fish.. which are typically only suitable to be together because they are essentially dirtier.. and maybe higher PH?? Generally not the best idea to house fancies and straight tail (comets) either as the straight tails out compete for food.

Is your aquarium heated? See if this wiki link has any relevance to your dojo...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond_loach

The information I see (contrary to my first thought) actually says they do fine in cool water with goldfish.. but will out compete fancies for food.. and yes they will do best with buddies.

I would consider getting a buddy as the replacement for the other thinking about possibly upgrading tank size if needed in the near future.. it will partly depend on what kind of filters you're running, if you over feed, how often you change water.. etc.

The standard minimum tank size suggested (that I've seen) is 1 gallon per inch of fish... As you currently sit it looks like you have about 15 inches of fish. Going by their eventual full size is the best way.

Sounds like you are working hard to keep them comfortable and keep their whole beings healthy, that's awesome! :highfive:

You're on the right track. Google up all the information you can and follow what makes the MOST sense overall, to you.

Having tank mates is not quite the same as having another that speaks your language.. IF you get along. :pop

Attachments

• 1596654247577.png
    1596654247577.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Hi there. :frow

I'm gonna start by saying it's some time since I kept fish.. 6+ years.. but when I did.. did so avidly. It's an enjoyable hobby.

To the best of my recollection.. I would not be housing the dojo with the gold fish.. which are typically only suitable to be together because they are essentially dirtier.. and maybe higher PH?? Generally not the best idea to house fancies and straight tail (comets) either as the straight tails out compete for food.

Is your aquarium heated? See if this wiki link has any relevance to your dojo...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond_loach

The information I see (contrary to my first thought) actually says they do fine in cool water with goldfish.. but will out compete fancies for food.. and yes they will do best with buddies.

I would consider getting a buddy as the replacement for the other thinking about possibly upgrading tank size if needed in the near future.. it will partly depend on what kind of filters you're running, if you over feed, how often you change water.. etc.

The standard minimum tank size suggested (that I've seen) is 1 gallon per inch of fish... As you currently sit it looks like you have about 15 inches of fish. Going by their eventual full size is the best way.

Sounds like you are working hard to keep them comfortable and keep their whole beings healthy, that's awesome! :highfive:

You're on the right track. Google up all the information you can and follow what makes the MOST sense overall, to you.

Having tank mates is not quite the same as having another that speaks your language.. IF you get along. :pop
Thanks for your input but yes, I've been keeping fish for the past 15 years, and we have successfully kept Dojo loaches and goldfish together before now. Our current Dojo loach is pretty pushy when it comes to food, but the others still seem to get their share. Our fancy goldfish that we just lost was 10 years old and blind, but as far as I know, she was able to keep up with her sighted companions and in fact a lot of times, I observed them apparently showing her where food was. Before this loach., we had a Golden Dojo that lived to be 8 years old, about the average for a Dojo loach. He never posed a problem with the others for food either, but good point, as this one is pretty aggressive and pushy, it might be a bigger problem if there are two. You do have to keep the tank and water clean because both are dirty fish.

I do have access to an aquarium store which is where I got Mac the loach we have now. But, like all stores especially these days, their primary focus is selling fish and fish supplies. I'm a little wary because of that, but yes, I'll probably have to ask them if no one else here knows. I know that as a general rule, a Dojo loach needs at least a 55 gallon tank, so I would assume that two loaches need at least a 100 gallon tank. But idk I've read all kinds of stuff otherwise. :rolleyes: Thanks anyway you guys.

I would definitely go with a 75 minimum. Even that would probably need to be upgraded with time or move the goldies out. That’s a lot of fish mass between them all.
Thank you, yes, I'd love to get a friend for him, but he's probably Ok with the goldfish for now until we get a bigger tank. They will all grow more. :)

Back
Top Bottom