Question for ones with sliding windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dr8goons, Jun 22, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    i have seen a few people use plexi glass on the windows over the hardwere cloth. my question is how do you get the plexi glass to stay? and also how do you get it to slide?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have ones that came off a mobil home, that I put frame and all over opening, so it is either on or off, no sliding necessary.

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm not a builder, but I would think you would have use a router and make a groove for the plexiglass to slide in. If you think of the opening as having 4 sides, keep one side off until you slide the plexiglass in. Then attach the fourth side. Place hardware cloth over the outside of the opening.

Hope this helps.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You could frame a simple sliding frame for it on the outside so it slide within the wooden frame. I have no idea how to put it into words so I will look for pics for you.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We use plywood to cover our windows, but they are sliding ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    The correct terms I believe are window casements and window sash...I made my first for my new coop this spring. The sash is the frame that holds the pexiglass, or glass, and the casement supports the window when it's closed. I used a 2X4 for the sash which I ripped in 2 to create a 2X2. Then I cut the groove to hold the glass with a table saw then mitered the corners into the correct lengths. You have to be careful and calculate for the extra length and depth of the groove inside the miter. The casement is just and inside support for the window sash made with 1 X3 . I made the casement to fit after I made and hung the window.
    [​IMG]

7. Titaniumcranium

Titaniumcranium Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simple design here.Used my table saw to rip a groove.The plexiglass is the same thickness as the saw blade.

8. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I am have been converting a large doghouse and 10'x10' run into chicken coop w/run. What did you use to attach the hardware cloth over the window opening? I used a staple gun, and lots of staples, but not sure how much force a coon might be able to exert against it?

9. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    My windows are too high off the ground to worry about coons. But, if I needed to keep a coon out I would staple it in place then place a strip of 1X3 over the top where I stapled and nail or screw that in place. Use the heaviest hard ware cloth you can find.

10. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by