question for the 'architects' and those with knowledge

FlyWheel

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 19, 2016
35.111165 -81.226586
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I have an architectural question on the name of something that I hope someone can answer, that is assuming it even has a name. Here it is:

A 'living area' extending from the side of a roof is called a 'Dormer', this I know:

Now for my question; I am building an A-frame coop which has something like this, but with two significant differences; one, it it situated at the bottom of the frame, at floor level and two, rather than being a 'small' protrusion, it extends the full length of the structure, from front to back:

Now on a 'true' A-frame the roofing rafters extend all the way to the foundation, becoming the frame of the house, so even though the 'dormer' is at ground level, technically it still protrudes from the 'roof'. So my question is, would it still be considered a dormer? Or does such a feature have some other name (if so, what would it be called)?

I have gone through every image of A-frames that Google 'can' come up with, but none of them show anything like this (other than patios) and I know that in the eons of human architecture there is no possible way that I could be the first to come up with the idea! So someone, sometime in history must have given it a name.

Last edited:
Dropped Dormer?
Addition?
Lean to?
Scab on?
Nesting boxes?
porte-cochère?

Seriously, I don't think there is an official name, as it's not part of the style.

So just make something up<shrugs>

What is the purpose/function of the 'dormer'?
Two functions, actually. The main function is to make full use of ALL the floor space (usually a problem in A-frames due to the wall/floor angle);

The chickens are scaled a bit big in this diagram (19" head height)

the second is that the 'dormer' can easily be cordoned off to create a brooding area, each one already has a nesting box incorporated into one end.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Curiosity.

I think A-frame chicken coops are far more limited by roosting access issues than floor space.

cool.png
I thought of that too! The angles I have chosen will let me place two roosts along the 6' length of the coop front to back (12 feet of roost length total) and as much as three feet above the floor* yet still have over a foot of room between the roost and the 'walls' with 30 inches between them giving me sufficient walking space as well. The roosts will of course be removable for ease of cleaning, of them, their poop trays and the coop itself. Which IMO would be a lot easier than trying to scrub off the permanently mounted ceiling rafters they would invariably prefer to use if it had a regular gabled roof.
sickbyc.gif

I read just about every article here at BYC of A-frame coops before I ever sat down and started designing, noting every shortcoming of the design mentioned...particularly of the larger coops intended at being at least somewhat walk-in. Don't get me wrong; I harbor no illusions that my design solves all the problems of A-frame, or even roost building in general, Personally I doubt any design would!

*whether I actually make them that high I'm still debating on.

P.S. There is also over 7 square feet of cabinet area where those of 'lesser rank", or just the younger birds, to roost on as well.

Last edited:
Gullwing is the name.

The problem is snow collects where the pitch changes.

If the walls are higher. You can have a regular roof with more room on the same foot print.

Back
Top Bottom