1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question for the experts, can day 18 be moved to 17 1/2?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shylasgarden, Mar 15, 2009.

1. shylasgarden

shylasgarden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I was wondering if it were possible to remove eggs from the turner and increase the humidity at 17 1/2 days, or if you had to absolutely wait till day 18. Tomorrow morning at 10a.m. will be the 18th day and of course I`ll be at work leaving it for hubby to do, not that I don`t trust him.....but I`d really rather do it myself to be sure everything is perfect:/ Has anyone done this before and would it change the hatch in any way? Thanks in advance, Di

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    i dont see why not , but im not an expery, if it was me i would do it [​IMG]

3. shylasgarden

Mar 1, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I`m leaning towards doing it but was hoping that maybe someone has done it before to reassure me that I`m not making a BIG mistake, or has at least heard of it and how it turned out.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    You can stop turning eggs at day 16 with no problem, if you check some of the old book they stopped at 14

Incubating eggs is not an exact science, mama hen just does it. LOL

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I usually don't put mine into the hatcher until very late on day 18 or even on day 19. I'd just wait until you get home from work and do it then.

6. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Half a day really makes no difference, in my opinion. I don't see any problem with you getting them ready to hatch tonight. [​IMG]

Paula

7. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:Hadn't thought of that. I sometimes wait till day 19 also, and they are fine. Just wait till tomorrow night, then. Shouldn't make any difference. [​IMG]

Paula

8. shylasgarden

Mar 1, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    You guys (and gals..lol..) are awesome, can`t wait till I get knowledgeable enough to conrtibute to! Thank you soooo much!

9. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I screwed up my counting and accidentally pulled my eggs from the turner on day 17 on my last hatch.
    They hatched just fine!
    Carolyn

10. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I usually stop at 17 and still have the same hatch rate. I have stopped turning on 16 and could tell no difference. About 90% using my own eggs..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by