Question for the incubator gurus...

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I am attempting to build my own incubator out of wood. I've gotten the cabinet done so far, and have most of the components I need such as the fan, turners, etc.

But I don't have a heating element. I was originally going to try two light bulbs, but after looking at my friends 1202, it doesn't look like it would be that hard to hook up. (Its got the zig zag coiled looking element)

My question is, what kind of heating element should I be looking for. Someone mentioned a low watt heating strip if I remember correctly.

Where would I begin to look for a heating element that would work? I thought about tearing apart an old space heater or something, but those apparently get too hot too quick.

My cabinet is 17" wide, 23" deep, and 30" tall.

I was just going to use a replacement heating element for about $22 from McMurray when I finally got around to making my wood cabinet. Would also love to know if there was an alternative....although I would think the one made for that purpose would be safer. Just my 2 cents
wink.png

There are heating "ropes" or "strips" that you can use (google it and you'll find lots). The secret is to find the right wattage. I think it would work LOTS better than a light bulb. Before I hatch again, I'm going to redo my bator with heating ropes and put in a turner. For me that means a new cooler probably.

I looked at those strip and rope heaters but I dont understand how they work.

Do they operate fast enough to turn on and off promptly to keep temps up at a certain level?

What kind of heating elements are used in the LG's and Hovabators?

For your size incubator I use an approximately 100 watt Nichrome wire heating coil. The incubator pictured is very much like the Sportsman. When I built this in 1964 I couldn't find a source for small wattage heating coils so I made my own by wrapping Nichrome around a small steel rod and testing them until I got the proper wattage.

If I may make a suggestion. Try to get all the controls in the front so that when you approach the Incubator everything is clearly visible at a glance, and you don't have to be a contortionist to read Thermometers or set Thermostats.

Also every motor and microswitch in this incubator is available from W W Grainger at less cost than you can get from Poultry Supply Dealers.

Incubator001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom