Question for the "Mallard People".

97743_037.jpg

Just took this profile pic about 5 minutes ago. His little head is starting to turn green as of yesterday.

Quote:
TSC is where I got these. They were sold as Rouens... but I knew right away something was "un-rouen" about them. They never got that big and their crops/front side (whatever it's called) weren't hanging down as low as Rouens.

Then some people told me about the "eye stripe" thing, and these only had one stripe as babies.

I still love TSC, but next time I will not assume they know what ducks are what.

Just throwing this out there: I found it interesting that hatcheries that sell Mallards are required to permanently identify the bird by banding, pinioning, or removing a hind toe. Apparently it is illegal to take/own wild Mallards but domestic Mallards are fine... they just need to be identified as such.

I am new to this so I can't see any difference between pet Mallards and wild Mallards when I look at them.

Makes me sad to see my little ducklings missing a toe, though.
sad.png

took this profile pic about 5 minutes ago. His little head is starting to turn green as of yesterday.

That's a very nice drake. Certainly a good wild-type.

On the toe, it's minor compared to injuries I've seen them sustain. I've seen wings amputated by powerlines, and had a hard time catching the bird. Lots of radiograph studies have shown shot, tree branches, and other stuff impaled in the body and birds heal over and do fine. I'd rather have to remove a hind toe than not be able to keep them.

Clint

Quote:
Compared to all that, yes. But compared to banding? I'd opt for the latter, even if I had to pay a fee to the hatchery. These are beloved pets and I wish I just had a say in the matter.

But... it's over and done with now. Doesn't seem to bother them at all, much like a dog with a docked tail or a bunny with an ear tattoo.

Last edited:
But compared to banding?

You can use SEAMLESS bands. They have top be placed on before the ducking grows too large, and bands wear off with age and environmental conditions. You would have to use Plasticine-Filled Leg Bands (P. Blums, J. B. Davis, S. E. Stephens, A. Mednis and D. M. Richardson. 1999. Evaluation of a Plasticine-Filled Leg Band for Day-Old Ducklings. J. Wildl. Manage. 63:656-663) for a band placed on that age that would be retained as adult. Environmental conditions with the placticine-filled bands affect retention until the bird grows large enough.

Compare that with a simple, permanent clip of the toe.

Clint

So is it safe to say that this is not a Wild Mallard, but a "domesticated" Mallard? I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm just the type that likes to research everything so I'm educated on what I have.

Also, what are the chances that it's a cross between a Rouen and a mallard. Although it was sold from a hatchery. I guess it would help it I knew what hatchery the TSC orders from.

(Ok, some of that was me thinking out loud.)

So is it safe to say that this is not a Wild Mallard, but a "domesticated" Mallard?

No, but being from a hatchery makes it much more likely it's a 'domestic" mallard. Genetically, they couldn't be separated. A hatchery would be subjest to inspections, so why risk a fine for a mallard?

I would say, 0. Phenotypically, there's nothing that look rouen or call in that drake.

I would guess TSC gets their birds from several hatcheries.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom