Question for those who free range and integrate chicks into flock early...

Hard to see the doors on the rabbit cages so I highlighted them in blue. The doors are clipped to the fence and allows the chicks to go underneath them where the adults cannot. The cage is pulled from the wall so they have two access paths into their safe area. Highlighted in yellow

Attachments

• chick run.jpg
    chick run.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 6
We run two approaches here. Largest volume has each cohort of chicks provided with their own pen / coop they return to each evening. During fall the young adults start to drift between pens so I remove the rearing pens leaving only those used for adults over summer. To make room that is when culling takes place. The hen-hatched and hen-reared chicks usually, but not always spend nights where adults roost up. Extra roosting space is needed for those youngsters to be able to roost up.

Hard to see the doors on the rabbit cages so I highlighted them in blue. The doors are clipped to the fence and allows the chicks to go underneath them where the adults cannot. The cage is pulled from the wall so they have two access paths into their safe area. Highlighted in yellow
This is a really awesome idea that I might steal.

For those of you who free-range your flock and also integrate new baby chicks into the flock early, how do you handle free ranging with the babies?

Our current group of 11 chicks is about 5 weeks old now, and have been integrated since 3 weeks old. Up until the past few days, while they've explored the run and right outside the coop door occasionally, they've not shown any interest in following the flock any further abroad...but the past couple days they've started venturing to the compost pile when we come out to dump scraps, so I know its only a short matter of time before they start actually following the hens further abroad.

I'd prefer they stay up closer to the coop until they're a lot bigger, because I fear they'll be picked off by predators a lot more easily while they're small...we have hawks in the area so they, along with the farm dog (though he's pretty old and blind these days), are my main concerns.

So, do you take your chances and let the littles free-range if they desire? If so, do you lose a larger percentage of the littles to predators? Or do you keep the littles locked up somehow until they're much bigger?
If mine want to run with the big birds, I let them... Though that being said, I lost one to a dog that way.

Otoh, I also have roosters and ducks, and I don't let the little ones out until they come when called by the birds or myself.

Predators in my experience, are not picky. They take anything. I have even had a broody taken, and that night, the remaining chicks about 1/2 the clutch, came into the coup on their own, they were 6 weeks.

I love to let mine out, but ... just but. It is a crap shoot, and it works well, and I think they are healthier and the eggs taste better...until it is a wreck. SWEAR!

So it really is not about being chicks or chickens it is about is a predator scoping you out.

Mrs K

I integrate several batches of chicks into the flock every spring and summer. We have a large fenced run with a single gate. I do let the flock out to free-range, but only rarely due to a high predator load – coyotes, foxes, hawks, owls, eagles, raccoons, opossums, bobcats, and even the occasional cougar. I have four roosters to provide some security, and dogs in the fenced backyard howl their fool heads off when they see or hear anything amiss. Even the cattle help to keep predators at some distance. I still lose a few chickens every year; it’s inevitable.

I know they’re ready to explore outside the run when they’re nearly as big as the mature birds and have learned to follow the big birds' clues and warning calls. They also need to know the sight and sound of that coffee can with afternoon treats, and come running to it. I also watch for the time they’re freely mingling with the flock at feeders and treats, and don’t just stick with their own little group of hatchlings. Then I wait for a good stretch of nice weather when I’ll mostly be outside doing things for a few days, and can check on them frequently.

Only then will I open the precious gate to freedom. The big birds stampede through the gate and race each other to their favorite hangouts. The littles generally choose to stay inside the run at first, or explore just outside the gate for awhile. There are always a few hens and a rooster who choose to stay in the run or near the gate, anyway. (Especially if he’s got an eye on some of the pullets for his own harem.) I’ve found the youngsters don’t follow the flock to the far reaches until they feel comfortable doing so.

For the first few days at dusk, it's always a search-and-rescue mission until they learn how to find the gate into the run. I don't pick them up from wherever they've gotten lost (it's never very far at all); instead, I herd them (see below) back towards safety, sometimes with help, so that THEY follow the necessary route, at ground level, and find the gate themselves. It only takes about 2-3 days of this herding, and then they'll follow the big birds in or go into the run by themselves.

Herding chickens is a learned technique - and it's not as hard as you'd think, but it does take some patience and time. Basically, you act like a rooster would. He makes a certain sound that indicates it's time to head towards the coop. He circles around them and delivers light pecks to their behinds to get them moving. Then it's a slow, slow march punctuated by several pit stops to dine on last-minute snacks along the way. When the hens wander off the route, he circles back to them, stands patiently by and waits for a bit. Then he issues the call again, pecks or circles behind them, until they start moving again. Once they're in or very near, he repeats the process - because by then, several hens have wandered off somewhere else or back to where they started. It might take him ten round-trips to get everyone home.

I’m a bit more lazy (or more persistent), and will spend more effort keeping them all together and moving in the same direction, only going back for a second trip when one breaks away from the group. NEVER try to chase them; that never works – they’ll be panicked and race right past that open gate instead of going IN. You’ll wear yourself out and they’ll just be more confused and scared. They WANT to go in, they just need help finding the gate – and they’ll find it easier if you and they are CALM and take it slow.

My bedtime call is "Go to bed!" in a singsong voice the big birds have become familiar with. I carry my "rattly stick", which is really just a fiberlgass(?) stick with the end split so that it rattles when I shake it or tap it on the ground. Distinctive sound. I never tap (peck) the hens with it, but I'll tap it on the ground or against objects to get my point across. They always move away from me, and from my stick. So.... I just get behind or around them, and they move away from me and towards the run gate or coop door. We go very slowly, and I allow them their pit stops for last minute morsels, then it's tap-tap-tap "Go to bed!" behind them, and they start moving again. Works well for training littles to go into the coop at night, too.
Unknowingly, i herd my chickens exactly like a rooster. It does take forever with the pit stops. I walk patiently behind them and gently tell them, come on, come on with my arms out wide, walking low, lol. I used to have to do this from behind, but now i just approach, say hi, and tell them come on. They follow me now which is nice. We live up against a state forest, on a dead end with lots of places to go. I free range 4hrs a day, and never unattended. I have 4 chairs sporadically located one at each favorite spot. It took me about 6 months- 1yr to say my gals are familiar with the herd and roost routine. These days, (they will be 2yrs this May), i have my own perch i sit on, (a chair), outside their home, and at dusk, its a favorite time of day, they finally have learned the routines and even have learned the no no areas. Whats funny, is they visit the no no areas if I am distracted on the phone. Only when i am on my cell phone outside will i look up and see them at the no no spots. Whatever happens to my hens, its not gonna be a predator on my watch! I cant wait to get more fencing to put around more fencing, lol. Love my chickens and may yours always thrive! 🐓❤️

Attachments

• C6C8FC89-298A-4399-A024-046524A25D98.jpeg
    C6C8FC89-298A-4399-A024-046524A25D98.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 5
  • E698F0B7-BB83-4DC9-9AB4-B5D9D119B76D.jpeg
    E698F0B7-BB83-4DC9-9AB4-B5D9D119B76D.jpeg
    910.6 KB · Views: 5
Unknowingly, i herd my chickens exactly like a rooster. It does take forever with the pit stops. I walk patiently behind them and gently tell them, come on, come on with my arms out wide, walking low, lol. I used to have to do this from behind, but now i just approach, say hi, and tell them come on. They follow me now which is nice. We live up against a state forest, on a dead end with lots of places to go. I free range 4hrs a day, and never unattended. I have 4 chairs sporadically located one at each favorite spot. It took me about 6 months- 1yr to say my gals are familiar with the herd and roost routine. These days, (they will be 2yrs this May), i have my own perch i sit on, (a chair), outside their home, and at dusk, its a favorite time of day, they finally have learned the routines and even have learned the no no areas. Whats funny, is they visit the no no areas if I am distracted on the phone. Only when i am on my cell phone outside will i look up and see them at the no no spots. Whatever happens to my hens, its not gonna be a predator on my watch! I cant wait to get more fencing to put around more fencing, lol. Love my chickens and may yours always thrive! 🐓❤️
That cap is so cute ❤️

For those of you who free-range your flock and also integrate new baby chicks into the flock early, how do you handle free ranging with the babies?

Our current group of 11 chicks is about 5 weeks old now, and have been integrated since 3 weeks old. Up until the past few days, while they've explored the run and right outside the coop door occasionally, they've not shown any interest in following the flock any further abroad...but the past couple days they've started venturing to the compost pile when we come out to dump scraps, so I know its only a short matter of time before they start actually following the hens further abroad.

I'd prefer they stay up closer to the coop until they're a lot bigger, because I fear they'll be picked off by predators a lot more easily while they're small...we have hawks in the area so they, along with the farm dog (though he's pretty old and blind these days), are my main concerns.

So, do you take your chances and let the littles free-range if they desire? If so, do you lose a larger percentage of the littles to predators? Or do you keep the littles locked up somehow until they're much bigger?
I was worried about introducing our chicks to the 11 older ones who are between 6-8 years old. I had them in the run but protected for a few days, then the little ones kept escaping and I noticed they were okay with the bigger ones. After that I put them all out with the big girls and kept an eye on them. The little ones respected the older ones and would run and after a couple days they were fully integrated. I have four smaller coops and each night they decide which one they are going into and the older girls are totally onboard. I was surprised it was so easy.

Personally i am finding early i can do it better. My 27 march hatch was where the older girls could see and hear them from 3 days old..i let them out right as everyone was roosting first day, both older roosters got down to investigate then let them be..i have a bunch of hide spaces inthe area that are chick only..then i let them out for next couple days after i get home from work-10:30-11 did that for a couple days now they are not locked up..they roost in the coop but no secured..and i probably could have done it much faster..

Back
Top Bottom