Question for Wyandotte owners...

My wyandottes were the first to lay and have laid consistantly ever since. They lay large to extra large eggs and are the most faithful in my flock.

None of mine have ever gone broody. My buff orps have never gone broody either. My silkies go broody if you look at them twice so they get to hatch out my standard eggs.
smile.png

My wyandottes are really pretty, but they are more stand-offish and independent than some of my others. They are good rangers though and quite curious about everything. I love having them, but likely won't add any more to my flock.

Maybe this explains why one of my 5 week old cockerels attacks us already. I've never seen anything like him. He's not a hatchery model either. I don't tolerate aggressive roos too well, so he's probably destined for the pot. I'll cross my fingers that one of the others turns out to be a non aggressive roo.

Quote:

I had 2 SLW roosters and neither one was mean. They had insatiable sexual desire, but neither was ever mean to us. Got rid of them to spare the poor hens their attentions. Both were from Mt. Healthy hatchery.

I truly hope it is not the breed itself as I have some very nice Silvers that just arrived and some great BLRW as well. I have some of the sons of the rooster I spoke of. The same neighbor got sick of them and guess who gets them. The are in a pen amongst themselves, but are an aggresive mess.

They are destined for the land of Kelvinator very soon. I am really tired of hearing them squabble. I think it is individuals more than it is within a breed but I do think the disposition breeds through, and I doubt if many hatcheries or large breeders cull for disoposition. They probably dont even notice aggressive stock.

They might even like it as they get more hens bred.

I have kept SLW for the past 4 years and have found them to be very nice birds. The girls are consistant in laying about 5 eggs a week, though they don't lay through the coldest part of the winter, and are very docile in temperament. The two roos I had, since gone to new homes, were pretty even tempered but would occassionally fight amongst themselves. I don't recall ever being flogged by one.

I like wyandottes all in all. I think they're a nice hobby bird. But I think all chickens are nice birds.
smile.png
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom