Question for you Nigerian Dwarf Goat owners and milkers

skirbo

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Walton County, NW FL
I'm very seriously considering obtaining a milk goat this year, and have chosen the Nigerian Dwarf since my dairy needs are actually pretty limited and so is my space. My question is whether or not I can let the goat raise her own kid(s) and at the point where I would begin weaning them, milk the goat myself once a day? I had a friend who used to leave the kid with the mom half the day and then separate them half the day so she could milk once.

Thoughts? I've been reading at the links you guys usually point folks at and haven't seen this addressed.

Thanks,
Sarah

First of all...get two.

Yes, you can let the dam raise her kids while you milk. The generally accepted way is to let the kids have mom for 2 weeks uninterupted, then start separating them overnight. Milk mom in the morning, then give the kids back to her.

My warning to this would be if you have only one kid...separation would be cruel. I think this would only work with twins or if you had two mothers with kids the same age.

I prefer to wait to milk until the kids are weaned. I don't get the production that I COULD get, but it's enough for me and less stress for the goats.

Should have mentioned that a dry female was being planned for, to alternate years.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I didn't know that I could wait to start milking when the weaning is done, that's very helpful.

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom