Question from a bug paranoid person

Worriesandwonders

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
Okay, so I am very paranoid with being infested with bugs like fleas, lice, and mites. I was cleaning a pretty dirty coop from molting and got some bites that looked like tiny mosquito bites on my knees (weird place). I've always heard of chicken mites and started to get worried that my chicken coop has mites and I'm now scared that they're crawling on me and I'm carrying then all around my house. The bites have already gone down for the most part, but I feel itchy from being paranoid. A few minutes ago, I saw what looked like a mite crawling across my phone screen and I've lost it mentally. I'm going to check my chickens for mites tomorrow since it was late in the evening. Please tell me I shouldn't be worrying

Check the birds at night after they roost. Some mites only come out at night to feed on the birds so you may not see any during the day. Also you can take a paper towel and rub it on the roost including the bottom and look for any smears on the paper which can also be a sign of mites. When I inspect the birds in the evenings I wear a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck and have fun with your birds...

Back
Top Bottom