Question from newbie about outside run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prodds, May 10, 2011.

1. prodds

prodds Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I am new to all of this (don't even have my chicks yet). I am designing a coop with a covered outside run on dirt. I am assuming chickens poop anywhere and everywhere. Will I need to clean the poop off the dirt? Does the poop smell? Is placing a layer of sand or any covering recommended? I will be trying the deep litter method inside the covered part of the coop, and I think I have a good understanding of that. I'm just not sure about the outside part. We will have 3-4 chickens in about a 40 square foot run. Thanks for helping a clueless newbie!

2. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    I rake mine about once a week. Works for me and them. And yes, the poop smells. For us, mostly when it rains.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I completely filled my run with about 7 inches of sand, which packed to about 5 or 6 inches. I love it, LOVE it. Stays clean and dry, doesn't stink, I anticipated maybe raking it and one year later haven't even done that. Now I only have 8 chickens, so I imagine more chickens would require raking, but I HIGHLY recommend sand. When the yard around my run is wet and muddy in the Spring, or during heavy rains, my run is nice and dry.

4. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I have just added sand to my newly built coop run and HOPE from what I read that this is low maintenance - I bought a little cat litter scoop to clean anything that doesn't dissolve into the sand. Hoping the advice here for sand was solid advice. Good luck with yours (from another newbie!!)[​IMG]

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I also have sand in my run AND in my coop. I LOVE IT. I purchased a looong litter scoop (42") called "The Goliath" and it works great for the coop. I scoop it out about every 2 days. My run is 216 sq ft and all sand. When it rains, there are no puddles or mud and it dries quickly.

I also use Sweet PDZ and DE in the coop and run to help keep everything dry and smell free. The DE also helps with pesty bugs

6. prodds

prodds Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Thanks for the responses! I was wondering about using DE. I will have it on hand for the DLM, so may as well sprinkle it in the sand too, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by