1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION, handling chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spring, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    WE just got our baby chicks today in the mail. Is it ok to handle them? How often is ok? I just don't want to do it tooo much. Please help! We really want to make them tame and just come to us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    I can't imagine handling them too much unless you get pooped on then maybe they need a little down time heehee
    too cute!

3. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I would give them a day to get adjusted to the new place, then you can handle them, but be carefull. The best thing to is to cup you hands and let them fall asleep in you hand. If you want tame chicks handle them a lot when they are older, but not so old they are out and about. Just hold them and feed them from your hand and you will beacome fast friends.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  4. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    hello, i would just let them be for a day then, you can hold them for a few hours a day ...feeding them from your hand helps to get them tame..

alex

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    haha! i would handle them immediatly! but you have to resist... oh gosh i can imagine how hard that would be!! they're so cute!! but wait 1 day. or an hour [​IMG] i love baby chicks! theres nothing like freshly shipped chicks!

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG...... the new baby chicks are almost as cute as the little boy in the red hat [​IMG]

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    that is a cute feeder -- plastic too! where did you get the plastic feeder? i always end up cutting myself unscrewing our metal one..

8. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    Quote:Thanks. He sure is excited!! [​IMG]

9. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    This isn't anything scientific at all - just a gut feeling... but I told the kids in my class that we had to let the newly hatched chicks rest a lot, just like new babies sleep a lot. So we could pick them up and hold them for a little bit, but then we had to let them rest and sleep for awhile. I told them the chick's heart beats faster when it's being handled and it might stress the chick to be handled too much and make it sick. So we had to make sure the chicks had time to calm down and rest after being handled. At least for the first few days.

10. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree...wait a few days and let the babies get acclimated before handling.

However, that's not to say that they can't be "petted" some or some feed held in your hand for them to come peck to satisfy the kid's desires to hold them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by