Question - Incubator Temp Dropped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick2good4u, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

My eggs are on day 13. There are 12 silkies and 2 standard faverolles. The temp had been holding steady at 99.5. Last night when I came in from work it was down to 97.2. It could have been like that all day - up to 12 hrs. I got the temp back up late last night to where it should be. Humidity is still 37-40% Will my babies survive or did the temp drop kill them? :|

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your fine!

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our newest bator does that on cold mornings also. But we have still had good hatch rates. It is always better to go down than to go to high. Temp drops mean that development slows. Temp spikes means chicks cook. The natural hen will move the eggs around under her to regulate growth rates. The ones that are developing too fast will be moved to the outside where it is cooler until all are at about the same point and then they will be moved back around. You should be ok. You can always candle them now and then wait a few days and candle again to make sure they are still growing.

4. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    You should be OK - temporary lower temps haven't hurt my hatches. They might possibly pip a little later, but for just a few hours of dip in temp, you probably won't see much of a problem at all.

Kelly

5. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Whew! Thank you! That makes me feel better. [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Your good [​IMG]

The worse that could happen is they will be a little late due to the drop in temp !!

Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by