1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question: new to ducks : Ducks panting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ferretmommie, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ferretmommie

ferretmommie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    ohio
    ok I am very new to ducks about 6 weeks into them and they are all 6 weeks old except for 1 a khackie campbell that is 1 yr old .
    Ok so I have 5 mallards and 2 pekins and the Pekins are sitting out there panting and nobody else is it is only about 62 degrees outside right now can they actually be this hot they have a pool and fresh water to drink .... is this how they release heat like a dog would they are 6 weeks old

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know, but I'll try and bump you up so a ducky person can try and answer!

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I would put them right next to the water and see if they drink. When they pant that usualy means they need a drink. Either from being hot or eating there food and needing water to wash it down.

4. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I'll second the drinking thing with Pekins. I have one that does that. She also does it when she gets upset about being held.

Someone with more experience than me may say different though.

5. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    my babies did it when they had stuff gunked in their nose, I had to help them dunk their heads in the water to clean it out....worked but mine were less than 1 wk old at the time, I'd think yours would be old enough to know to do that? I also heard anxiety/stress causes them to act like that (as if they had a bully?). I'm also new at this too so these are just guesses. Hope you figure it out! GL!

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My pekins often do this at around that age. My routine is to give them a swim in the evenings and let them dry off in the brooder- After they have preened and dried off they start to snooze- but I will see one or two panting- more when I have a larger number in the brooder. They arent cloggged up in the nostrils as they have just had a swim- Mine do it when they are just too warm- It is the ones further from the heat lamp that do the panting.
    Being too warm or being stressed will make a duckling pant.

7. Green Liver

Green Liver Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Monroe, Washington
    I too have been wondering why my Pekin also seems to pant. It almost doesn't even seem like panting but more of a silent chattering maybe. I hope someone can answer can answer your question also.

8. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I raised Pekins and Rouens together and it was always my Pekins that panted - they just got hot easier. I turned their lamps off way sooner than I did with the chicks I was raising in a bin next to them. The funny thing is, the Rouens would like to sleep close to the Pekins and the Pekins were always trying to move away - kind of like wanting to "throw off the covers" - LOL.
    I did notice they went through a stage where they panted more and then it eased up. As long as they have plenty of water, deep enough to dip their heads in, they will be fine. Also, I had one that did the "chattering" I think Green Liver mentioned, only it sounded kind of like snoring to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  9. 2ducksmomma

2ducksmomma New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    alabama
    How long do you leave the light off?

10. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    x2