Question of the Day - Monday, April 29th, 2024

Pics
:goodpost:

I will say this:
I have worked with many devices and stuff. Windows 10 will always run terrible on a 5400RPM drive, and toss 4GB of RAM in, and you have a terrible performing laptop. I have a laptop with a SSD and 4GB of un-upgradeable RAM and it runs the base Win10 system with Lenovo bloat just dandy unless you have a few tabs open.

Clonezilla is worth a try for copying the data over. And it's better just to install clean Windows 10 since i've heard not so nice things about HP bloatware before.
I should add on that that Lenovo has been named the Pad of Bad Ideas, and sits on the side for when I need to use Windows for some odd reason. My ThinkPad X260 works just fine for everything else, albeit plenty of slowdowns if I do something intense on it, and the occasional lockup in laptop mode (I have it docked). I plan to save for a "build it myself" PC, that is, if I can keep money in my wallet instead of buying $10 thrift store PCs for the fun of it. (Mmm, hyperthreaded Pentium 4......).

I acknowledge that I may have caused dizziness and head spinning in some BYC members. My apologies to you.

Yeah...
I was just recently gifted a laptop for helping my neighbor learn how to use his Canon. I haven't picked it up yet tho. It's a Dell, an old school (not as in old but like it was used in a school) laptop from what I can tell.
So long as the thing's a Windows laptop you should be good for learning. Once you can get used to basic stuff in Windows try Linux Mint out. Worth it, especially if it's old and has shoddier hardware in it.

So long as the thing's a Windows laptop you should be good for learning. Once you can get used to basic stuff in Windows try Linux Mint out. Worth it, especially if it's old and has shoddier hardware in it.
It's windows. So far I've been pretty good at figuring out how to use most tech, just never spent any time on a laptop except for when I was really young. It does look like an older model. I'll probably upgrade at some point since I plan on working from home and doing some online courses, but for learning and getting started it's pretty great.

It's windows. So far I've been pretty good at figuring out how to use most tech, just never spent any time on a laptop except for when I was really young. It does look like an older model. I'll probably upgrade at some point since I plan on working from home and doing some online courses, but for learning and getting started it's pretty great.
Chances are it is. If you need help or get stuck and can't find a answer anywhere about your problem with it let me know and I'll see if I can help you while sitting in some random house in a random city over the internet.

Windows 10 /11 sucks on 4gb of ram, sadly. You really need 8 minimum and 16 ideally.

If you'd like to look at DIY upgrading it, Here's a 16gb kit that will work in your laptop, is decent, AND inexpensive. Swapping it is a few screws and the back plate, then easy pop-out/pop-in, 5-10 minutes even if you have never done it.

If you don't have an SSD, that's also a performance adder, but it'll mean totally reinstalling the OS, which you may not be interested in doing. not sure your comfort level with tech.
Like I said, it was slim pickings, definitely not my first choice.
Thanks for the recommendation, I can do that,
I'll expand the ram, that itself should help, not sure I want to mess with the hard drive yet.

Back
Top Bottom