Question on Barred Rocks

HoosierChickenMan

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Okay, have aquestion on my Barred Rocks, I went to the henderson site and found no reference to my BR's, Is BR an offshoot breed or what? The reason I am asking is I would like to get all the info on them such as how good of a brooder are they and how good a mother they are....etc... Anyone got any answers? I would be very grateful!

Thanks'

Brian- HCM

The breed is Plymouth Rock and the variety is barred. Maybe that's the problem. Hendersons lists Plymouth Rock. They are not a broody breed, generally, though there are rare exceptions. Breeder quality ones may brood more often than hatchery stock. I have raised them for years with none ever going broody.

Cynthia,
thanks for the reply so I take it they won't brood much, that is a bummer, next question What breed is best at brooding?

Thanks,

Brian- HCM

Probably the very best is a Silkie, but not all people like those and they are bantams. I'd say Cochins and Orpingtons are good brooders. Two of my three Buff Orps have gone broody and one of my Blue Orps has raised chicks.

Bantams are the smaller variety correct? I am wanting full size that brood and lay the large eggs(preferably brown) sorry I should have been a wee bit more specific, sorry, but am new to this, well I had chickens when I was a kid 30 yrs ago lol!

Thanks,

Brian- HCM

Last edited:
Orpingtons lay large, brown eggs, and I believe Cochin do as well. Orpingtons are known for their great dispositions, and everyone I've ever talked to loves them. They may be a good choice for you.

Yes, bantam are the smaller chickens.
lol.png

Quote:
Cochins lay anywhere from brown to barely tinted depending on the color of the hen. My Barred hen lays a large egg that is barely tinted, My Blue hens lay a milk chocolate colored egg.

Don't sell off the BR's just yet, simply because of one generic, catch-all website. Chickens are not absolute things and the Plymouth Rock is not unheard of as a good brood hen. I had one that seemed to never leave the nest, for wanting to brood.
I ended up calling her "Hokey Pokey": I'd toss her out, she'd get back in. I'd toss her out, she'd get back in...

Imagine if the Plymouth Rock was indeed such a poor brood hen - would they have lasted as long as they did, long before our artificial methods came about?

Much depends on the particular strain.

I want to add that my friend, from whose flock some of my own BR hens came, has one broody BR. The hen has been broody many times, though none of her daughters that I own have ever felt the need. I think one thing that may be true is that the farther removed from hatchery stock you get, the more likely you are to have a broody BR. Hatchery birds are bred for egg production above all else.The BRs are my very best layers, right up there with my RIRs.

Back
Top Bottom