Question on breeds

MamaChick74

Songster
May 27, 2017
New Hampshire USA
We are sadly down to 5 chickens. Right now we have 3 Barred Rocks and 2 Ameraucana's. We will be looking to add more to our flock shortly. What breeds would be good to add? Our BR's can be bossy so I want a breed that will mix well with the BR's. And they would need to be winter hardy for New Hampshire winters. Any recommendations?

I have a question for any one that can answer. I have a 15 C15 ft chicken pin. With a chicken house that is about 2 X5 ft with wit 2 nesting boxes with a 2 ft 5 ft run, how many chickens can I keep comfortably.

I have a question for any one that can answer. I have a 15 C15 ft chicken pin. With a chicken house that is about 2 X5 ft with wit 2 nesting boxes with a 2 ft 5 ft run, how many chickens can I keep comfortably.
I think they say they need 3 to 4 square feet per chicken, less if you have bantams. If your coop is only 2ft by 5ft that would be 10 square feet. Divide that by 3 ft for each chicken...you could probably fit 3-4 chickens in there. You definitely don't want to overcrowd them

We are sadly down to 5 chickens. Right now we have 3 Barred Rocks and 2 Ameraucana's. We will be looking to add more to our flock shortly. What breeds would be good to add? Our BR's can be bossy so I want a breed that will mix well with the BR's. And they would need to be winter hardy for New Hampshire winters. Any recommendations?

Just about any breed that is not uber docile. Orpington, Australorp, Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte, Dominique, Marans and Buckeye are good choices. I'd stay away from the hatchery RIR or New Hampshire. If you think the Plymouth Rock is bossy you'd think them demons. My experience with the hatchery Reds is they are horrible with new introductions. Can be the most trained birds in your flock then relentlessly terrorize a new addition. The above mentioned dual purpose birds will stand their own well and are well enough mannered. Stay away from Silkie and other overly docile birds that don't protect themselves well. Birds need to be alert and able to stand their own.

Just about any breed that is not uber docile. Orpington, Australorp, Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte, Dominique, Marans and Buckeye are good choices. I'd stay away from the hatchery RIR or New Hampshire. If you think the Plymouth Rock is bossy you'd think them demons. My experience with the hatchery Reds is they are horrible with new introductions. Can be the most trained birds in your flock then relentlessly terrorize a new addition. The above mentioned dual purpose birds will stand their own well and are well enough mannered. Stay away from Silkie and other overly docile birds that don't protect themselves well. Birds need to be alert and able to stand their own.
All 3 of my RIR's are gone now. They were from our first original flock and one was quite the bully when we introduced the orps and ameraucana's. Thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom