Question on cushion combs

Quote:
Thank you for the correction. I think of those three combs as all the same thing since I enjoy thinking of them as being the same genetically. Do you have any comments to add on the hairs that Ryan is asking about?

So Ryan, the hair that appears at approximately the line of the top third of the comb can be seen in the Kraienkoppe (walnut, though some have a cushion comb) and the Chantecler (cushion is the standard, but it doesn't always display as a cushion). And these hairs are on the photo of the Malay on feathersite. I have heard that the Malay has the line of hairs across the comb at the top-third line, but I've not seen it. It's also on some Silkies and probably some other birds. (sounds like the Orloff and your mystery bird)

Poultry Breeding and Genetics by Crawford, p 193, "The walnut comb is smaller than either the rose or the pea comb. Generally a shallow transverse groove separates the posterior third ..." and that's all I can get. I don't have the book.

Google Bateson.

You want a comb completely covered in feathers? Okay. Why not? But I'm thinking that the homozygous might have fewer hairs because of the comments made somewhere by Bateson that I can't currently find. But I'm not too well read up on these things and don't always understand the terminologies. I think it said something about the F1s having the hairs. But it may be that he didn't study the walnut comb any further. He was trying to figure out pea + rose = walnut (or cushion or strawberry or cowbell or whatever name the APA wants to give it in the SOP).

Do you have any comments to add on the hairs that Ryan is asking about?

The more of the comb that you remove the more of the "hairs" will replace it (the comb).
Keep breeding for the smaller comb and you could eliminate the comb to the point that there should be very little comb left and more of the "hairs".

Chris​

Thank you both. I find it interesting though that my McGraws do not have this trait, or maybe they do and I am not looking close enough. I believe most of my cushion combed McGraws are R/r+/P/P. So maybe homozygoisity does remove the hairs?

I just checked some of the combs on the McGraws and found out why they don't have the half ring of hairs-they simply don't have the third of the comb that is above the "hairline" on the other chicks. No wonder.

Back
Top Bottom