Question on feed ...

cajun1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Idaho
2 of my 26 GSL's are starting to lay. Pullet eggs, but they are eggs. My question: Since I'm due to buy feed today or tomorrow, should I get "layer" or should I continue with "grower" until I see more eggs? My GSL's will be 18 weeks this Sunday. The first egg came at 16 weeks. Thanks in advance.

I would get layer feed (pellets or crumbles) and mix it gradually with the remainder of grower feed. This allows for a smooth transition to the layer feed. This method worked well for my flock.

You can go either way and it wouldn't be wrong. Go with the one on sale
wink.png
. With that many birds it's only a 1.5 week supply if you're lucky. If you like to transition them from one feed to the other, buy one of each and mix them.

I have a question about feed. I have 3 young pullets that have been integrated into the coop with my laying hens. I don't know what to do about feed. I have feed out all the time, but I'm concerned that the chicks are eating too much of the laying feed. I am putting the chicks on non-medicated food. Is it ok for the chicks & hens to eat each others food. I have all different ages in my flock. From 6 mos. to 1.5 mos. Any advice is appreciated. I'm so new at this & a little intimated. Thanks

I have a question about feed. I have 3 young pullets that have been integrated into the coop with my laying hens. I don't know what to do about feed. I have feed out all the time, but I'm concerned that the chicks are eating too much of the laying feed. I am putting the chicks on non-medicated food. Is it ok for the chicks & hens to eat each others food. I have all different ages in my flock. From 6 mos. to 1.5 mos. Any advice is appreciated. I'm so new at this & a little intimated. Thanks

I feed mine an all flock feed starter/grower/layer and free choice oyster shells

I have a mixed flock of various ages and they are all doing great

Last edited:
I use flock raiser when integrating youngsters. Everyone can consume it. I offer oyster shell, and the laying hens seem to get what they need. -switch back to layer when the young 'uns are about 18-20 weeks old.

Not trying to be a smart alec or anything. And yes I agree that our animals deserve the best food and care available. But part of me chuckles sometimes at the great debates about this food or that. They are birds and they spend the day eating bugs, plants, seeds, and whatever else they can find as they wander around. As long as the manmade food offered to them is good quality, it is not something that should keep us up at night worrying. So long as they have healthy environment, clean water, and nutritious food... they'll be fine. Personally, my bigger concerns are keeping them safe from local critters and providing them with a varied diet.

They get lots of veggie scraps. They have layer pellets, grit, and oyster shells available to them at all times. They much prefer roaming our several acres of yard and woods finding their own food. They do LOVE their bugs though. Early this summer when junebugs were everywhere, I'd catch a bunch every night around the porch lights and toss them to the chickens the next morning in lieu of scratch. Talk about some happy chickens.

I use the pellets because it is easier for me. They waste less of it. And, it seems to last longer than the crumbles which sometimes seems more dust than crumble. But it is there more to give them something to nibble at in the mornings while they are waiting to be let out. Once they are out, let the bugs and greens beware.

I agree that whether to feed this or that brand, organic or standard, or pellet or crumble is simply a matter of preference. Layer feed, however, is not safe for chicks or roosters to consume. -calcium content is too high for birds not producing eggs.

My chicks were about 7-8 weeks old when I let them roam free with the older chickens. I kept one feeder with layer and one feeder with grower feed and let them have at it, whichever one they wanted. They are now 17 weeks old and all started laying 3-4 weeks ago, healthy, love snacks especially tomatoes. We just made a feeder from a YouTube video to try to keep the wild birds and rain and hopefully the feed will last much longer. Also, have had a couple of huge eggs from them.

Back
Top Bottom