Question on feeding yogurt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brahmamamamak, May 14, 2010.

1. brahmamamamak

brahmamamamak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    I have a question about feeding yogurt to chicks. I make my own yogurt from fresh jersey milk, unpasteurized. Can I feed that to my chicks, who are now a bit over 2 weeks old, or do I need to buy the pasteurized version [​IMG] from the store. Also should the yogurt be served from the fridge or about room temp as to not get them chilled. Thank you for any input!

2. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert, but I'd be a little gun shy to feed them yogurt at such a young age. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Seeing they are little, I agree with your gut instinct to not chill them with cold food. Older chicks would handle it fine, but yours are still pretty little.

Enjoy those babies!

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Yogurt is supposed to be a great treat for chicks! Like you said keep it at room temp for a little, mix in some of their food to make it easier to eat. And serve! Mine always loved it since they were a week old.

4. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    my chicks love yogurt, but I don't know about unpasturized...If it was what I ate, I would give it to my chicks...

5. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I think they're going to love it! (I know I would!!!! [​IMG]) I have a farmer friend that has been keeping chickens for decades and she feeds her chicks raw goat's milk and she swears by it and I believe her, her flock is always super healthy. I agree about the room temp business, good thought.

6. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Chickens scratch around in their own poop. I cannot imagine the harm in fresh, artisan, hand crafted yogurt. I'd choose the yogurt! [​IMG]

7. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] You make a good point!

8. cerridwenn

cerridwenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    LOL oh i can't believe it! never heard of feeding chicks yogurt before coming to byc... we certainly never did it on my grandparents farm... so i'm reading this set of posts and thinking i should try this!

so i poured some out in a lid and set it in with the chicks... they were totally afraid of it, that is one of the funniest things i have ever seen. finally one of my wyandottes braved up enough to try it and i don't think she liked it much. but once a couple of them tried it all of a sudden it went from "don't let anyone near that scary thing" to "don't let anyone near this delicious thing" and now they're fighting to get through the crowd, and they've walked in it and dragged it all over the place and it's full of shavings and the smaller ones that can't get through are racing around squawking and jumping on top of the ones that are in the way. and pecking the feet of the ones who walked in it.

oh man... i had no idea this would be SO entertaining!

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I started my chicks on yogurt straight from the frig when they were a week old. Just sprinkled a lil of their starter on top to get them to try it...they ate every bite and the dish appeared to have been licked clean! [​IMG]

I feed all of my chicks yogurt and have never noticed any sort of problem. [​IMG]

10. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I have been feeding my chicks yogurt since they were a week old. [​IMG] They love it and still come running when they see the pan. They are now five weeks old. I like to give it to them after they have been out in their yard. [​IMG] I used to let them peck it off my fingers but at the age they are at now, they have become too rough!!![​IMG] I like my fingers!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by