Question on hatchery Australorps

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
I am interested in buying some Australorps next spring from Cackle Hatchery. But I want broody hens. Anyone have experience with Cackle Australorps? Thank you.

I have never had broody australorps. I have had Cackle and other hatchery BAs. My go to broodies are cochin. They have happily hatched chicks, keets and goslings. They have also accepted chicks in the middle of a snow storm. Good mothers

One of our 4 Australorps from Meyer has gone broody twice and she's not even a year old. Not sure about Cackle BAs, though. Seems like they can be hit or miss as a breed for broodiness.

We got silkies with similar hopes for good broodies. Time will tell.

We’ve had a few black Australorp a, from a different smaller hatchery. Only one went broody -but she was an awesome adoptive mom several batches. We ne er let her hatch her own, just put some young ones under her at night and took away the fake eggs. But, she sat very well for the duration. She was a good mom, and didn’t kick out the chicks until around 6 weeks old.

We’ve had a few black Australorp a, from a different smaller hatchery. Only one went broody -but she was an awesome adoptive mom several batches. We ne er let her hatch her own, just put some young ones under her at night and took away the fake eggs. But, she sat very well for the duration. She was a good mom, and didn’t kick out the chicks until around 6 weeks old.

I can only hope one of mine goes broody! I know the odds are against it, but there's hope for a "renegade". :p

Hoping one of my TSC BAs goes broody next spring. I want more birds, but would really prefer a broody to the brooder. Two or three more chicks from TSC or hatch a few eggs; BO x BA cross. Chicken maaaaaaathhhhh! It's everywhere! It's everywhere!

Is it spring yet?? Oh. No. We just started autumn. Sigh. :confused:

Set up a little broody coop inside the main coop, decorate it like a nursery, and play Brahms Lullaby. Maybe she'll take the hint. :)

Back
Top Bottom