Question on hatching - unknown length of prior incubation

dhomestead

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Long time reader, first time poster.

Last weekend, my neighbor asked me to help him move some steers. And when we were moving them, they happened to trample an unseen hen under a pile of hay. Turns out she was sitting on 7 eggs. So he gave them to me to take home and hatch. I was going to use a make shift homemade incubator in a styrofoam cooler but after a day and a half I couldn't get the humidity close to being right, so I went out and purchased a Little Giant incubator. Here's my question. Since I don't know how long the hen was sitting on the eggs, how do I tell when to turn off the automatic egg turner. The one egg that was cracked, I cracked it in the frying pan and scrambled for my chickens. I could not see a blastoma in it or anything else. I did then candle the other eggs and it appears that 5 of the 6 have a "small floating" blob so I think they're viable. I'm thinking that I have to keep candling them and see when they reach a certain stage and then I can turn it off. Any links to candling stages? Thanks if advance for any help for the experts!

Rich in Central PA

Pictures of the candling? We can help you out there.
Ok, Here are 6 pictures of 3 of the eggs. The 1st three are of one egg. It appears to have a small dark moving spot. Egg 2 is the 4th photo and I don't think it's viable. Egg 3 are the last 2 photos (although one is hard to see with the glare). I think it also has a small moving dark blob. I've had them for 5-6 days now, I think the eggs are from a bantam breed as they are smaller than the eggs my Barred Rocks lay.

Attachments

• egg 1a.jpg
    egg 1a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 9
  • egg 1b.jpg
    egg 1b.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 7
  • egg 1c.jpg
    egg 1c.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
  • egg 2.jpg
    egg 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 6
  • egg 3a.jpg
    egg 3a.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 7
  • egg 3b.jpg
    egg 3b.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 9
Turn off the room lights and take pictures in the dark, please.

JACLOH - I think you were right - newly incubated. I had assumed the chicken was sitting on the eggs and she may have just been trying to lay one in that nest.

Also, here are 2 more recent pics. They're hard to see on here, but one has veins in it, the other has a line across it. 5 of the 6 eggs now have veins so I think 5 of 6 are viable. The one with the line (possibly a "bloodline"?) I'll be removing this weekend if I don't see any veins at the next candling.

I'm expecting the eggs to hatch the 1st weekend in May and turning off the egg turner next Wednesday. I will post results for those that may be interested. Thanks all for your help!

Attachments

• 01 egg with bloodline.jpg
    01 egg with bloodline.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 7
  • 02 egg with veins.jpg
    02 egg with veins.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom