question on height of my roost

camotruck

Chirping
May 22, 2010
NW Ohio
I am just about finished with my coup. My Rhode Island Reds are about 4 1/2 weeks old. I'm planning on putting them out with probably a heat light at night, I think we're looking at high 50's at night this week.

My question is my poop board is 21" from the floor, with the roost 31" from the floor, is this too high for them at this age? Should I put a temporary roost at a lower level for awhile? Nesting boxes are about 18" off floor, which I am planning on blocking off until its comes closer to laying time.

One other question, the roost is 12" from the ceiling, is this too close to the ceiling when they are full grown?

I would say put the temp in for a little while just to give the a boost but the height should be fine. I would say 12" from the ceiling is a little to close. I have a SLW mange to jump two feet from the top of her nesting box top to walking on top of the coop and run as you can probably tell we have the whole coop and run covered except for a little hole that is less than a foot wide and she manged to get through it.

I started 2nd guessing myself when I installed it, I'll lower it a bit. It's actually 12" to the rafter,so 15 1/2" to the sheathing but easiest access is the downslope side of the roof, so I'll lower it a few inches.

Back
Top Bottom