Question on Holstein steers

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey everyone this summer I plan on getting a male bottle baby holstein calf from a dairy in TX and raising it as a pet. I will of course get him castrated. I've heard that holstein steers get so large and heavy that their legs can't support their weight and they die within a few years. Is this true?

I have never heard that, I wouldn't think so because they are often used as oxen.

I have heard steers can be a BIG handfull and lots of work, we had one at a barn that was less then a year old, castrated, and would mount people. They need lots and lots of discipline.

Quote:
I've never heard that. Most don't live more than a couple of years since most end up in a Big Mac at McDonalds. Unless you over feed him and he gets too fat I don't think that will be a problem. I doubt he'll get any bigger than a herd bull does.

Not true- They are lean cows and we had one for 4 years as a steer-he was fine- we used to bottle raise them in dozens. It is very hard to do but very rewarding!! We have a 4 month old holstein bull now that I plan on breaking to ride.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom