question on homeschooling

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
if you work, in the morning, can you home school?
i am thinking on this, going back to a night shift, so i am available in the morning.
if i work right now till 1230n can this work? my son is 4 years old and is headed for kindergarten in the fall.
thanks in advance.
smile.png

this is something i have been thinking about for a long time.

Last edited:
In order to be a really good teacher, you have to have time to study the curriculum, evaluate the materials you hope to use and prepare good lessons. When they are younger, it is easier because the curriculum isn't as complicated.

If you're thinking about continuing this throughout your child's school years, you may want to consider a way to transition out of your job. Otherwise, I can see how wanting to be a really good teacher would conflict with all your other responsibilities at work and at home.

thank you for your quick reply.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

i will take all advice under consideration, i evenutlaly want to leave my job, but have to way everything out.

I am going to recommend the book called "So You Are Thinking About Homeschooling" by Lisa Whelchel. It shows how 15 different families in 15 different situations make homeschooling work.

Many people have to work and that is just the way it is. One of the reasons homeschooling is so fantastic is the amount of freedom and flexibility you have. Schooling doesn't just have to happen from 9am-3 pm. Nor does preparation have to be a full-time job.

I am a second generation homeschooler and I would be happy to help if you have questions! You can PM me anytime.

HTH!
smile.png

Last edited:
Another great book is Dr. Raymond Moore's "Better Late than Early", as well as his other book "School Can Wait".
smile.png

I work from home and homeschool my girls. Granted, I only work part-time, and do most of my work after they've gone to bed. And they're both doing kindergarten right now, so we really only spend about an hour to an hour and a half maybe 3 times a week. I will just have to wait and see how it goes as they get older.

And, don't forget that there are online HSing options that don't require you to do ALL the planning, only some. We're trying Time4Learning right now. So far the kids are loving the lessons. They finish what they have to, and then some, without even realizing it. Which I think is awesome. I check their progress daily, note down any areas that need refreshing, set up the To Do list for the next day (could also do this weekly but the way they blow through lessons I'd just have to keep editing it daily anyways) and they handle the rest. But, this is only our second week, so take that with a grain of salt.

There are other programs that require a LOT more parent involvement, buying books and other things. We went with this one for many reasons, not the least of which was price. $35/mo for two children is very good IMHO... but once DS completes this year and next we'll have to find a HS program for him, that'll be a whole 'nother can of worms.

Good luck in your hunt.

but the great thing about homeschooling is it doesn't have to be done in the mornings..... we do it later in the day if we have to. It also doens't take an entire "school day" to teach your child....you go at their pace.

^ x2

Since it IS summer I'm still letting mine sleep in (darn isn't that a shame for the insomniac mom) and they get up and get going first thing... just yesterday I went to wake up sleepyheads, got DD going, then I couldn't find DS... found him already logged in and halfway through his Math for the week! Like I said, I'm hoping this energy level holds... neither have ever been this enthused about school before!

One more bonus of the type we're doing... I filled in at work (used to work every week day, now just when they need a pinch hitter) on Mon and Tues... kiddos went to Nana's... but they were still totally able to do their lessons since they can log into T4L on any computer... I was worried it wouldn't work without me there, that we'd have to do those lessons once I picked them up, but nope all done and still smiling. Definitely a HUGE change from PS.

Give it a try,you will not be sorry.BUT first think of WHY you want to start homeschooling and make sure you are ready.I am loving it especially at that age it is all hands on reading,art/crafts and hands on learning.You can't mess up at all especially at that age.I am in our second yr and we are in fourth grade,only one child.Like someone had posted before about the time,they are so right.You have the power to set your own schedule for what you want to do and when you want to do it.That is a blessing and the best about homeschooling.Check your states requirements for homeschooling.Check out homeschooling blogs and websites and the library.If you were to go on the night shift,just make sure that you are getting enough rest for yourself.You don't want to wear yourself out first thing in the morning.JUST ADVICE!!!!!Maybe you can try a little trial run,but just remember at this age it is simple and sweet.Also we are all here to help,check out my personal blog I have lots of homeschooling blogs that I follow,one that I would go to first is FOURSQUARE SCHOOLHOUSE,her name is Jessica and she is homeschooling her little boy(K)and they are all into hands on.GOOD LUCK<BEST WISHES:cool:

Back
Top Bottom