Question on how to separate out breeders?

joyous

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Davenport, Iowa
My first time breeding for my own eggs! I have a trio of Rose comb red dorkings in my flock and I want to separate them for breeding. ( I have another breed of rooster in the same coop since they all get along great) Do I isolate the girls out for 10 days then put them with the dorking rooster to make sure they have not been bred by the other roo? Or should I just take out both roos for 10 days and then isolate the dorkings together after that. Next, how long do I isolate the trio, I don't want them to be over stressed by being bred night and day! lol I plan to start collecting eggs in mid january for a feb hatch. Then after breeding, I guess I will have to keep either the hens or both roos isolated until I get the amount of eggs I want for incubation.. any tips or ideas?

I think 3 weeks is the time it takes to be sure you are going to get what you think you are. Really, you should be able to do it any way you want. Sepataring the two roos would probably be easiest.

Either approach you suggest will work - you can put your dorking roo in with the hens immediately though - just don't plan to hatch any of the eggs they produce for about 2 weeks. that way you are sure they are fertilized by the correct rooster. All you really need to do is keep the "other" rooster away from the hens. Maybe put him & an couple other hens in a different pen?

hi,
was not sure from your post that you know eggs collected 10 days or less are best for hatching....
Have fun
smile.png

I run mine in a flock that free ranges. What I plan on is having the 3 chosen gals in there own coop for a month and bringing in the top male for 2 to 3 day and then ltteing him roam again. Then puting the gals in seprated pens in the coop to collect eggs so I know who laid what. Repeating every week with rooster till enough to hatch. Having eggs marked really keeps tight recocrds if hatching from one hen. In the case of incubating you either have to be there for the hatch or have 2 or 3 incubators. With a broody more than one to set eggs under from each hen and keep them fenced off so chicks do not mix in coop.

Back
Top Bottom