question on ichthammol and healing picked feathers and red backs

motherseaturtle

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
I am new here and please forgive me if this is another topic, but i am having the hardest time with my birds. i removed the rooster months ago and thought it would get better, but the hens are picking the heck out of each other....it is worse now...bloody with open wounds and skin rubbed raw. i went to the farm store and the chicken expert there suggested ichthammol, which i applied to 24 birds tonight....what a hoot that was....anyway...is this stuff the right stuff? thanks, -motherseaturtle in north carolina

I think Ick is okay, but I think its more of a drawing salve like for abcesses. I think most people here use Bluekote. And maybe put the rooster back, lol

I myself have been dealing with the bare back thing for months now and finally threw my hands up. Tried bluekote and antipicking/ pecking salves etc.... (which by the way....they pecked right through) I come to the conclusion they like to peck more at the stuff you put on their backs!!!!!!- guess it gives them something to do
ep.gif
)
Anyway, I myself found that the bluekote helped the best for healin purposes, so that It didn't progress into something further, I suppose.
idunno.gif

Other than that....They pretty much walk around with bare backs. As soon as the feathers start growing in ........
th.gif

Was thinking about gettin some saddles myself
roll.png

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning!

Thank you for replying so quickly...I will wait until the ichthammol wears off (or is eaten off...which I cannot imagine because to me, it smells terrible) and then try the Bluekote.

I read somewhere that it also helps to free-range them more, so they are spread out with something to do other than pick at each other....(like women?)

I'll have my homeschoolers sit out there with their work like shepherds as often as I can and see if that helps....we have hawks, and the kids frequently need to scare them away when the birds are out.

Thank you again, and if there are any other ideas, please post...

Cheers!

Oooh, I should say that I too am a woman, so I can write that hens pick each other that way.....(I have been the victim of "picking" in my own tiny development, so I know how those hens must feel...but at least I am not bleeding.....)

Back
Top Bottom