Question on if my quail sick/dying

danielb1990

Chirping
Mar 11, 2018
Hi i recently moved my 4 hatched quail to there pen and it seems the last 2 that hatched having some troble with walking and wondering if this normal

The "worst" is the last one hatched where it lays on its side/front with legs straight behind it under the heat pad it not making sounds and dont think it eat/drank much (hatched around 16 hours ago)

the other just stumbles every now and then mostly under the heat pad but flips back over after a min of wiggling (hatched around 20 hours ago)

the other 2 seems fine wandering eating and drinking (around 30/40 hours old)

They still all snuggle up under heater but dont know if the first one is just getting its balance and stuff and fine due to still have yolk in it etc or if it dying/sick any ideas? (the flooring is toilet roll under heater over cardboard and wood pellets that turn into sawdust when wet over most the floor)

They can initially be very weak and sometimes they just don't recover from hatching. Hopefully yours will though. Feeding them cooked egg mashed finely is a good boost. Hopefully they'll find their feet soon.

Another just hatched with a little help (it zipped and was stuck inside so i pulled the egg apart a tiny bit to help loosen it abit and 5 mins after it broke out on own although flipped upside down for abit so helped flipped it over (only helped as it been like that awhile and was thinking checking on how many started cracking etc)

Another just hatched with a little help (it zipped and was stuck inside so i pulled the egg apart a tiny bit to help loosen it abit and 5 mins after it broke out on own although flipped upside down for abit so helped flipped it over (only helped as it been like that awhile and was thinking checking on how many started cracking etc)

They can be very uncoordinated for a day or so. But the healthy ones quickly strengthen up. I always choose to help out where necessary because if I've made a mistake in my incubation of them, then it's my fault and they deserve a chance. So don't feel that you shouldn't help if that's what you want to do.

They are the cutest babies so enjoy them.

Had a small isuue with it of it keeps falling on its back and waggling trying to get right way
it also got its leg trapped between the mesh of incubator (like leg fell through one and up the other so had to hold it while i cut the mesh with 40k model olier things (to cut the plastic) got it free and coveredbottom with kitchen roll for better grip bu still on back (leg seemed red where it was trapped hopefully not hurt to bad)

flip.jpg

there a pic of how he stuck like most the time
and what instresting is because i moved the other 30 eggs to side they started beeping too so might hatch super late

in about 30min-1hour when he dryer i might try flip him if still stuck

Had a small isuue with it of it keeps falling on its back and waggling trying to get right way
it also got its leg trapped between the mesh of incubator (like leg fell through one and up the other so had to hold it while i cut the mesh with 40k model olier things (to cut the plastic) got it free and coveredbottom with kitchen roll for better grip bu still on back (leg seemed red where it was trapped hopefully not hurt to bad)

Seriously, if there's trouble to get into a quail chick will find it!

If you just keep popping it back on its feet (when you can) hopefully its little legs will strengthen up. I've had the odd one do that too. You could also do a bit of physio with it as they like to snuggle up into your hand, so if you have it so its feet can push against your hand as they snuggle upwards (you'll probably need both hands) then that will help to strengthen its legs.

cool thanks and i just went to flip it (it imediatly flipped back over like its top heavy or something) and found a second almost out a egg lol

still not standing long but it loves laying in my hand lol
and it seems to have a white cord that was wraped around a wind and attached to back fluff

Back
Top Bottom