1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lanissa86, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    My work schedule is kind of crazy. I work 10 hour shift so from 1 to 11 I am not here.

Will my Eggs Survive if I only can turn them 2 Times a day? like at 12noon and then again at 12midnight?

I have been looking for an automatic turner, but my feed stores only sell LG incubators and I have a Hova-bator....

Are Eggs turners universal?? Should I just get it? I would hate to waste my money....

Please let me know what you all think! Thanks!

2. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

well, I don't know if they are "universal" or not, but you could measure and if the LG turner fit you Hovabator then there is nothing to stop it from functioning. Or, you could find out what the return policy of the store is. If it's easy to take back just buy it and see if it fits.

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So turning Twice a Day is not really recommended then????

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the lg turners are the same size as the hova turners i have both. and the turners make it a lot easyer. william

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I turn twice a day and usually have pretty high hatch rates. Not everyone works at home, or has an auto turner, and yet the rest of us do hatch out chicks.

My last hatch was 7 out of 8, so only turning twice a day can't be too bad.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Call GQF and try to overnight it?

Yeah, expensive, but you'll have a better hatch.

7. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the replys. I do not get paid until Friday but have Eggs coming in on Wednesday, so do you think 2 Days of turning twice a day will affect them until I can get the Turner in?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I only turned twice a day and I was trying to be real good at 9 am and 9pm and it didn't always work. Today being day 20 - I've got 11 out of 15 chicks hatched - 2 are pipped.

9. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh Wow!! Now that is Encouraging!! I hatched plenty of times with hand turning 3 times a day, but now since I have this crazy shift job I am a little paranoid about turning only 2X a day. This makes a Hopeful!! Thanks

10. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    I'd love to have a auto turner...but it hasn't worked out to purchase one. Both of my hatches have been about 75% from turning twice/day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by