Question on last eggs: was 12 Perfect little chicks!

Congrats on your babies so far!!

I would give it another 24 hours before taking out the ones that have hatched. They're fine for 48 hours after hatching -- I know some people say they're ok up to 72 hours.

I don't quite understand the mechanism but people seem to think if you open the bator for even a few seconds it can keep other eggs from hatching.

I don't like to leave hatchlings in there longer than 48 hours personally.

Good luck & let us know!

Day 22 here. 3 more hatched today.
I have 3 Golden Penciled Hamburgs
5 Barnevelders
1 Golden Cuckoo Maran

9perfectchickens.jpg

I scooped them up out of the very crowded incubator and put them in the brooder.

I still have 7 eggs incubating and have hope for 4, long shot hope for the other 3 (based on candling the dark eggs as best I could).

I believe from coloring that the Maran chick is a roo
and I think one of the Hamburgs (the first one) is a roo
I hope there are some girls in there cause I can't keep the roos.

thanks for all the help
I'll keep updating with pics and giving the rest of the eggs a little more time.

I'm now officially on day 23.
3 more Golden Penciled Hamburgs hatched out last night, so now I have 12 beautiful babies.

I will wait awhile and then I will grab these new 3 little ones out and put them in the brooder with the rest once they are all fluffy and not so floppy.

1 hatched on day 20
5 hatched on day 21
3 hatched on day 22
3 hatched late 22, early 23

Temp was solid at 99.7F over entire incubation (brinsea with fan)

There are 4 eggs still in the incubator.
2 Marans that are really dark and have no clue whats in there.
1 Barnevelder that I had hope for and
1 Welsummer that was a huge long shot. (I had to toss all the other welsummers. They just didn't make it in shipping or something.)

so Advice please...
How long do I leave these last 4 in the incubator?
Should I candle them? that means taking them out of the incubator so I have not since day 18 or so. Only the Barnevelder egg would really tell me much anyway.

thanks for your help

Last edited:
Quote:
I took my 2 out after about 2 hours and put them in my brooder with a 100W bulb for heat on one end.. I hope the other 2 will hatch today.. These were the 4 eggs that got cold from momma hen leaving them for 8 other little chicks (My goof on that )..

I'll list my url to show PICs I just took a few minutes ago

14303_bchick1.jpg

OH so cute!
I have put all the hatched chicks into the brooder.

I still have a question about the unhatched eggs.

I have 4 unhatched eggs in the incubator.
I need advice on how long to leave them in there and how to tell if they are never going to hatch before they explode.

what has not hatched yet and it's day 23:
2 dark maran eggs
1 pretty dark welsummer egg
1 lighter barnevelder egg

How long do I leave them in? how do I tell there is no hope? I've squeamish so I will not be cracking things open to be sure it's dead.

Advice please!!

Back
Top Bottom