1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on lathargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Nov 26, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    My hatch came out great yesterday and i still have three hatching in the bator. But...I have one chick in the brooder that is now seeming to knod off. Then I have one that looks like a turken, that has splayed legs I think, and then I have one in the bator that came out of his shell about an hour ago but is still attached to it at the butt and he is just laying there most of the time. He seems alert but lazy? Any takers on these? I tried the band aid trick on the "ten" the turken (?), but he would just sit there and nod until I took the band aid off. So I put him back in the bator with the wire bottom to see if he can do better with those splayed legs. These were all supposed to be silkies, some look like it but others dont. I have a pick of most of them on another post.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    In my experience and and observation, newly hatched chicks do a lot of nodding off. It's part of the conspiracy to scare the wits out of us several times a day. That, in itself wouldn't give me alarm.

The one that's attached to the yolk - just needs more time in the incubator. Let him rest as long as he likes.

I don't really have experience with splayed leg, so i'm going to leave that one alone. A little bit of rest might do the trick.

Congratulations on your new hatch!

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you Punkin. At his time the one that was "hanging on by a thread" in the bator, is doing great since I left him in there for a few hours. [​IMG] Nodding so far is not present anymore. The splayed foot guy is walking around a lot better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by