Question on laying boxes

katie3054

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
I am new to BYC and am excited to about learning more as a new chicken "mama". Our chickens have just started laying within the last couple of weeks. My question is they are only laying eggs in 2 of the boxes while we have 10...1 for each hen, do you know why they are doing this?

I am new to BYC and am excited to about learning more as a new chicken "mama". Our chickens have just started laying within the last couple of weeks. My question is they are only laying eggs in 2 of the boxes while we have 10...1 for each hen, do you know why they are doing this?
It's pretty common for them to pick a favorite box, and then everyone wants to use it, or so I've heard, we only have one laying yet, but she has a favorite box as well. Looking at the two others that are close to laying age, I might soon find out if they prefer the same one. You don't really need one for each, usually one per 3-4 chickens is enough. I have 2 boxes for 6 pullets.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Not only are chickens creatures of habit, but they tend to lay where other hens have laid. They are very worried about predators. If you keep a fake egg or two in each box at all times, this will help them to feel comfortable with each box. Give them time, but with this method, they should start using more of them.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Chickens are like that - even though all nest boxes are identical. Sometimes a hen will even climb in on top of the current resident and lay an egg on top of her. This may be the reason you don't hear of any chicken rocket scientists
lau.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC!! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, hens feel safe laying where other hens lay. You can't control where they will lay.

Last edited:
Although you can try to influence it with golf balls or fake eggs.

I bought 2 awesome fake eggs at The Cracker Barrel....1 blue and 1 speckled ....they look pretty good! Will have to post pics! They worked well for training the hens where to lay eggs. Used them for the newby girl too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom