question on materials

pappy1264

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Building our coop, trying to get and use as much 'reclained' items as possible. Yesterday, we picked up 3 6'x 8' cedar fence panels (brand new, were never installed.) The back of our run was going to be solid, using plywood, the rest will be 1/2" hardware cloth. Was going to use the panels for the back 'wall' of the run, coming off from the coop. Does anyone see a problem using them? It will be attached to the frame of the run (it will be a covered run, as well). Thanks!

Depending on where you live. I would use them for the south side so it will shade part of the run if it gets warm there.
The other thing to think about is blocking wind. If it stays very cold and windy then put it on the west to block prevailing winds. If it gets hot place it where a breeze will come through.

I live in Massachusetts, gets pretty cold here. My yard butts up to the woods, building the coop and run inside our dog kennel (extra protection), so wanted the back 'wall' which is near the woods, to be solid, as it does get windy, esp. in winter.) Just wanted to make sure for security sake it is ok to use that. TY.

You may still want to bury some wire to keep diggers out.
Bury the wire from the fence out a couple feet so when fox and things dig at the base of the fence they hit the wire and give up.
I put a coop adjacent to a chain link dog kennel, just added a chain link door on the coop side. That way they had more pen space.
The more space you give them inside and out the better things will go.
The more ventilation the healthier the chickens will be.

Last edited:
Wire will be buried and come out a foot on all sides, just wanted to make sure using the fencing instead of just plywood 'wall's is ok. We will be doubly securing all boards, as well, to make sure they are solidly on. Picking up a bunch of 2x4x8's today, plywood, etc, off CL (all been stored inside, clean and straight....got to love CL!) Ordered my wire today, will be here Thursday, coop build is this weekend (or as much as we can get done!) Babies are just over 2 weeks, so have time, but want it done. I also found a great stained glass panel I plan on putting on the front (for light, will not open, will have other windows that open, as well as vents). Getting so excited!! TY!

Back
Top Bottom