Question On Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurajean, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I tried searching first but didn't see a specific topic on this. although I'm sure there is one somewhere. What are the actual symptoms and signs of mites on chickens? Can you see them with the naked eye? What are the symptoms on the chickens?

Several of my Silkies suddenly popped up bald on their head. One seems to be hiding a lot in the nest box. At first I thought she was getting picked on, but then I noticed 3 others are bald on their heads now too. Is this a sign of mites? I don't see any 'picking on' by others when I am out there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

If what I am describing sounds like mites, then what? DE? If so, how specifically?

Thanks so much!

2. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    of corse, diffrent mites have diffrent symptoms, some include, feather loss, scragaly "chewed looking" feathers, red skin or rash, flaky dander like skin, or dryness of skin.

3. luckyclucker

luckyclucker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    nm
    When my silkies molted they lost their head feathers and were very thin on top, but not completely bald. One of them ONLY molted on the top of her head. I'm dealing with mites right now-- Northern Fowl Mites. They primarily clump around the vent area. If you see a poopy butt, check it for little specks that move. I have 2 silkies, and both of them have the mites, but they were harder to see as their feathering is so downy it covered up the mite/pooh/scabs. I've read about scaly mites and red/chicken mites. Neither of these mentioned any loss specific to the head. All that said, I am new at this and am just giving you the benefit of about 7 hours of online research. I've never done so much research in my life that wasn't billable. Welcome to raising chickens on the internet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by