Question on moving Pullets outise to Coop

hawcreek chicks

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2017
Hello All,

I am first time chicken owner and have read this site extensively.

I got my chicks at 2 days old and they are 2.5 months and ready to outside, permanently. I've read that you need to keep them locked up in their coop for 3-4 days so they know to come back. Here is my question. When it is said you need to keep them in the coop, does that mean locked in the house part (which is pretty small and seems cruel) or does it mean they need to be locked in the coop/run area 'complex'? I have one of those Tractor Supply coops that has a run attached. My backyard is huge, but not fenced in so although I'd like them to free range, I don't think it's advised.

Thanks in advance.

Different people do this different ways. A lot of it depends on how predator proof you consider that coop/run. I’m going to call that that elevated enclosed section the coop and the part enclosed in wire the run just so we are clear on terminology. In some circumstances I’d do it differently.

It sounds like you plan to let them in the run during the day but may lock them up in the coop section at night. I regularly move chicks a lot younger than yours (usually 5 weeks) into my “grow-out” coop, which is elevated and has an attached run. I used to lock them in my grow-out coop section for a week or more before letting them into the run section. I don’t do that anymore. I have other coops with the entry at the ground level. I’ve noticed with mine if I use a ground level coop it pays to lock them in the coop for a week. With my elevated coop it really doesn’t. With my elevated coop they all pile up under the entryway the first night no matter how long I leave them locked in the coop section.

My brooder-raised chicks tend to start roosting for the night at 10 to 12 weeks. I’ve had some that start sleeping on the roosts at 5 to 6 weeks, some that take longer than 10 to 12, but 10 to 12 is an average and pretty normal, as much as anything can be said to be normal with chicks. At 2-1/2 months yours could be ready to roost, which could make a difference.

Until mine start to roost, they tend to sleep in a group in a low spot. With my elevated coop, that low spot is in the run and practically always under the entry to the coop. The way I do mine is to go down after it’s dark enough for them to have gone to sleep and physically move them to the coop and lock them in there. If it is dark enough they are pretty easy to catch and put in the coop. If you have a fair amount of light down there it can be a bit more challenging to catch them. Sometimes they get the message after only one time and start putting themselves to bed in the coop on the coop floor but that’s unusual. Sometimes it takes three weeks of consistently putting them in every night before they all do, but again that’s rare. What normally happens is that a few start putting themselves to bed in the coop section after a couple of nights with all of them doing that after a week or so.

My broods are usually in the range of 15 to 25, not 5 like yours, and mine start at five weeks not 2-1/2 months. I think both of those might make a difference, especially if yours are ready to roost.

In my opinion you have two different options. Leave them locked in the coop section only for a day, two days, or even a week with food and water in there. They may get the message, especially if they are ready to roost. It may help them get the message faster if you do have to put them in the coop after dark. Or you can just turn them loose in the coop/run section to start with and put them to bed until they catch on. I’ve done both, both methods work.

Due to circumstances of life, I’m a little late moving mine. I have 22 six-week-olds in my brooder right now that I plan to go through tomorrow. I’ll put the cockerels in my grow-out coop, straight into the run section and commit to moving them inside the coop at night until they catch on. I’ll leave the pullets in my brooder a few more days just to let things settle and then let them out to mingle with my adult flock. This system works for me and keeps my stress levels low. You should decide which way is more likely to keep your stress levels low and go for it. At the end of the day it really won’t matter to the chickens. You are the one that will worry about it, they won’t.

Good luck!

I left mine inside the coop for six days and have never had a "roosting outside the coop" issue. Ever. : )

Be sure you protect the coop from underneath. I predator can just pick up the small Tractor Supply coops and scoot under. Raccoons work together to do this. I have a main coop and a mini T.S. coop - I have a solid wood base for it - built, not bought. I screwed down hardware cloth (the only thing that keeps predators out) and then linoleum on top for happy feet and easy cleaning. Then I poured in the sand. Have yet to have an issue. Year two. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks. that's my question. What do you mean by "Coop"? Is that the house and attached run, or do I just lock them up in the 'house' part. i.e, no outdoor access?

I think after one or two nights inside, they can be allowed to venture into the attached run, just make sure they know how to get back in.

Last edited:
I think after one or two nights inside, they can be allowed to venture into the attached run, just make sure they know how to get back in.

Thanks. Just to dummy-proof myself. You mean to keep them locked up inside continuously for 48 hrs? The interior seems pretty small to me and I am planning on keeping the food and water in the run, not the house.

How many are there? If there isn't room inside, just put them in for the first night, then let them find their own way out next day. Here are mine on their first look outside...they didn't all go tumbling out, they were cautious.

Last edited:
How many are there? If there isn't room inside, just put them in for the first night, then let them find their own way out next day. Here are mine on their first look outside...they didn't all go tumbling out, they were cautious.

Awww, beautiful girls! 5, 3 australops and 2 easter eggers. We were planning on only having 4, long story. They fit, just not a place to go other than to bed down for the night. :)

Well, since there are 5, it will be okay to let them out right away. Just make sure they all understand how to get back up the ramp, maybe w treats, and make sure they go in every evening without fail, even if you have to pick them up and put them in yourself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom