question on nest boxes

chikenman23

Hatching
May 19, 2015
floyd, virginia
I was just wondering as I've seen many nest boxes with a closed roof but does it matter as long as they are inside the coop if they are just open boxes with no sides or tops

I was just wondering as I've seen many nest boxes with a closed roof but does it matter as long as they are inside the coop if they are just open boxes with no sides or tops

Maybe you can sketch what you are trying to describe, because open with no top *or* sides would essentially be a shelf?
There is no one right or wrong answer when it comes to how to design a nest box. Lots of people use "community boxes" which are not divided into individual compartments. A lot of what works for you and your flock will depend on what your birds like - some like the communal/open approach while others prefer more private space that is darker, more closed in and secure feeling.

Yes thatnks for the info and I was meaning like a community type box I built them along the wall.. they are open and the are basically 2×4 and they are screwed to plywood to make the bottoms but are sectioned into 12 by 12 in boxes

Mine are all closed in with tops. They seem to prefer the boxes in the corner that are a bit darker, and two add on nests that are fairly tight height wise.

Back
Top Bottom