Question on nests after moving outside

PacsMan

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Salt Lake Valley
Hi,
My chicks are 4 weeks old, and within a couple of weeks, they will be ready to get outside and start munching the ground!

We've built a chicken tractor with a nesting/roosting area. They are going to need all of the room.

22639_tractor.jpg

My question;
When new chicks go out into a new coop/tractor, do you let them have access to the nest boxes? My ladies won't lay for another several months, so is it ok to let them use the nest boxes for sleeping and/or roosting? (I've got lots of pearches....) Or, should I cover the boxes up and let them in a week or so before they're ready to lay?

Pros and Cons?

Marty

When young fowl start roosting in nest boxes as young birds, they will STILL nest in the boxes as grown fowl and will poop in the nest box EVERY NIGHT!. I learned the hard way.

Make sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes, before or after they start to lay.

Make sure you have enough roost area for your birds. I'd use 12" minimum per bird. They can huddle if it is cold or spread if it is hot.

Do not allow access to the nest boxes until they are ready to lay.

Got it.
But I'm not sure I follow about keeping the roosts higher than the nest box. What will that do? I have some above and some below.

Back
Top Bottom