question on new run

Mule Chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
We presently have our chickens in a 12' x 24' chain link dog run. We are in the PNW and get alot of rain and the run gets muddy. We also are in a constant fight with rats digging holes into the run. I saw a great idea for a way to roof the run in another thread and got the supplies for that this weekend. We will be moving the run to a different spot and leveling the area. I wanted to put down some hardware cloth then add some gravel and finish off with a layer of sand to about 6". I figure I will need something to keep the sand from pushing out the sides of the run and thought about putting down something like railroad ties for the perimeter and then attaching the chain link panels firmly to that. Also wanted to bring the hardware cloth up the sides a bit to help keep out the rats and maybe even add an electric wire around the bottom. Has anyone done something similar? I wonder if there is something I could use instead of railroad ties because they are pretty expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

here is a pic of my run, I have hardware cloth buried and pulled out away as well..The boards around the bottom are I think regular planks (hubby built this, not good with sizes of wood:).. The boards are buried just below the surface..I also put 12" x 12" pavers abutting them against the planks.. The roofing I used is Ondura, purchased at Lowes, this spring plan to roof in the rest:)

I would skip the gravel, which is hard to move and work with and will allow the sand to settle into it. Use plenty of sand. It will aid in drainage, allowing the chickens to turn it over throughout the day reducing the need to clean the area. My chickens dig around the periphery of the run, kicking the sand into the run leaving a trench around the edge. I have had to put the sand back around the edges to keep their treats from rolling into the trench under the lip of the fence so that they could not reach them.

Chris

My run has a cement foundation that the chain link sits on top of, all around the run. Chain link won't keep rats out, so running some hardware cloth (rather than chicken wire), up a few feet from the base would be a good idea. I'm not worried about rats in the outer run, but more so, out of the coop itself. I buried hardware cloth all around the bottom of it, and have had no issues. Actually I may just be extemely lucky, but the only issue I have ever had with a rat, was in my greenhouse..lol A T-Rex trap took care of that guy in short order..

If you didn't want to spend the effort, time, and money on a permanent cement foundation, perhaps you could use cinder blocks. They can be dug under though, so you would need to bury some hardware cloth under them, down a foot or so, to prevent that, if you are determined to keep rats out...

Back
Top Bottom