Question on possible breed of ducks to get for our little farm.

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok I have the chickens and the geese, now I want my ducks. I had ducks in the past but its been a while. I would like some that might lay. They don't have to be super layers but some extras would be nice. I am also looking for good temperment ( not super flighty if possible) meat quality, and it would be great if they were not big on flying. They can fly some just would prefer they not go to the neighbor who would have no issues eating my ducks. If anyone is going to eat them its me! At first I just want to get a few for breeding my own little flock but eventually I would like to think it would be similar to my chickens. Too many drakes and its time for a duck dinner.

Suggestions? I guess I am looking for a nice utility duck that has a temperment easy enough for daily handling.

I have been looking at the Welsh Harlequins. They seem to fit the bill for egg laying, meat and not flying along with not being a huge duck.

I'm looking into the same thing. Right now, Anconas seem like they'd be a good fit for us. Carol Deppe extolls their virtues in her brand new book, "The Resilient Gardener." You can get them through the breeders, Boondockers, in Oregon. I just got "Storey's Guide to Ducks" today, and the author seems to like them as well. But you should check out a copy from your library -- there are many, many breeds listed along with information about each one.

Muscovies fly, and runners tend to be skid-dish (you have to work a lot with them), and Pekins are loud. I have Saxonies and they are rather laid back and calm. I guess their size does it. There are other nice breed. I would say go with what looks appealing to you. Metzer Farms has a comparison chart. It only includes the breeds they sell, but it gives you an idea.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

I'm gonna say khaki campbell's, They are really good layers and chubby enough not to fly and eat if you really wanted to. They are also really calm, i had mine where i could pick them up and hold them for a while.....but then they discovered our pond and avoid me.

Last edited:
Quote:
I beg to differ, i was in the barn minding my own business when my runner buzzed over my head and about took it off and landed in our pond.
lau.gif
but that was when she first got her flight feathers, she can't fly anymore.

Quote:
I beg to differ, i was in the barn minding my own business when my runner buzzed over my head and about took it off and landed in our pond.
lau.gif
but that was when she first got her flight feathers, she can't fly anymore.

That is AWESOME! My ducks try to fly all the time (flap their wings and jump) only to get like 3" off the ground (the tips of their toes, that is). They can hover a little lol
D.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
Yup i have the same thing going on here. the funniest thing is when the rouens try to fly. there production rouens so they are not as heavy set as the show quality ones so if they get a running start and flap there wings and jump of the side of our pond dam they get about a split second of "flying" and then drop really fast into the pond.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom