Question on Purina Layena Crumbles, it's all powder!

Quote:
Now that you say that--- I had some Layena pellets that got an identical response from my chickens. They acted as if they hadn't been fed, and they left the Purina pellets in the feeder. Now one of my chickens throws the pellets out on the ground as if she is moving debirs out of the way of her feed. It makes me wonder if something went wrong with a certain batch/formula -- and I got some of the same production run that you did of feed that didn't satisfy the chicken appetite. I'm in Texas too.

Generally mine are hungry for anything-- I had switched out those pellets when they seemed hungry despite a full feeder.

Hopefully Purina will make it right by you! (sounds like your feedstore is a pretty hopeless cause.

Last edited:
A while back when Purnia changed the style of bags on their Flock Raiser product - I ran into issues with moldly feed. I took it up with TSC - initially one of the TSC employees blamed me for taking it home in a hot car...yeah, right.

My husband formulates livestock feed for a living and I grew up on a farm and I knew something was going wrong during the manufacturing process or maybe with the delivery system. I took it up with the TSC manager and they called Purnia. Purnia tracked down the issue with the batch and made it right with TSC and me immediately. Any time you run into issues with feed it should be brought to the store's attention that sold you the feed and the company that manufactured it. A Regional Sales Manager for Purnia contacted me directly to make sure I was taken care of. Purina is a company that stands behind the products it manfuactures. I remain a Purnia customer and love feeding the Flock Raiser product - my birds do great on it!

Well they aren't making it right, I may just have to eat the cost of the bags. 1 I don't have the physical bags anymore, becuase I put all my feed into tubs/bins when I get it, and it's in the tub/bin. And they are saying I have to take it back to the store to get a refund. I know the store won't make it right, I asked them about it yestereday and the guy blew me off. So I guess I'll have to eat the cost, Purina won't fix it, and says the store has to, the store wont' fix it either. At least it was a good indication that I will now quit doing business with this store, I'
ll just pay a few dollars more and go to a different one.

Hi Double T--

that's kind of rotten... I suppose some unscrupulous person could try to blame them for bad feed so the "proof" would be the bag. You are too organized and neat-- and toss the bag as debris. (How often have I thrown away the packaging/sales slip--and then wondered if I would be able to do a return.) It is just that kind of world now-a-days unfortunately.

Live and learn.

Tonight, I watched one of my chickens throw all the Layena pellets out of a feed cup on the ground while she was hungrily looking for the good stuff. Thank you for posting this---I had thought it was her. Now I'm thinking it is the feed.

Good luck with future feed purchase.

Yep live and Learn, I guess.

ChicKat, I'm sure y'all get as hot as we do, but here I don't leave much in the bags, in the hot summers we have. Plus we have wild hogs pretty bad and if they manage to get in the barn they can tear a bag up pretty quickly.

I had a problem with the bottoms of the bags of feed being damp and moldy. I knew it wasn't purina's fault so I contacted my feed store and they were total jerks. First they tried to blame it on me and when that didn't work they blamed purina. I contacted purina and they were awesome. They called the feed store who apparently wasn't very cooperative with them either and they again tried to blame me. The purina rep. called me back and said that they would give me full refund on the bags I purchased plus some extra coupons for my trouble. The next week the feed store got a sunrise visit from a purina rep. who was less that thrilled with their storage setup. They got 2 weeks to change things or they would not be allowed to sell purina products. Now that's awesome customer service.

The feed store has now changed owners and the new people working there are awesome. No more problems. I go through about 500# of feed a week so they better be nice to me!

Back
Top Bottom